what is the impact of flu season?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by NoMoreOptions, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Media says there could be hundred thousands of death? Really? How the upcoming flu season affects the economy? Does more death mean more or less jobs? Or does more sickening people mean more or less jobs?

2. Well, all I know is how flu affect my life.

Firstly, I will need more tissue and/or handkerchief.
    Secondly, I will need flu drugs, too.
    Then, I expect to sneeze too frequent, so that I lose concentration on what I'm doing.
    Consuming flu drugs also made me sleepy, resulting in also loss of focus.
    Too frequent loss of focus may hamper my trading performance.
    If my client lose too frequent I might end up unemployed.

In the case of SARS, not only I could lose my job, but also my life. The least worst thing may be that them people will drag me to quarantine.

And that, surely, won't do MY economy any good.

Gosh, I just hate flu.

:eek:

3. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

First is a description of the impact of the common cold, then the flu. Both result in a lot of lost work days and I expect, lost productivity.

The study reports that an estimated 189 million school days are missed annually because of a cold. Also, parents missed 126 million workdays in order to stay home to care for their child. When added to the workdays missed by employees suffering from a cold, the total economic impact of cold-related work loss exceeds $20 billion.

The influenza virus, commonly known as the flu, costs Americans approximately $1 billion-to-$3 billion for direct medical costs, but its toll on the economy could exceed those numbers.

The flu affects anywhere from 17 million to 50 million people each year, which typically results in 114,000 hospitalizations, 36,000 deaths, 70 million missed work days, and 38 million missed school days. The peak flu season typically kicks off in November, but more than a dozen cases already have been reported this year in parts of Texas.

The indirect costs of the flu ranges from $3 billion to $12 billion, and includes lowered productivity due to missed school and work days.

4. CNN says deadly flu season off to fast start.

5. Yes this year 70,000 may die but some will profit. Funeral parlors, casket providers, tombstone makers, construction companies that provide end of life sanctuaries. I am sure many here recall the legion of doom stocks, like funeral companies, tobacco companies etc.. These stocks were highly touted during the 80s because they make profits. I am also sure many here have insurance or prepaid burial cost or plots already purchased or crypts or mausoleums on order upon our deaths. Have a great holiday season all.

6. I doubt that this flu season will affect the number of jobs in the economy because most of the people that die from the flu are children or the elderly. However, if this flu season turns out to be like the pandemic Spanish Flu of 1918 (which killed millions of healthy adults) then we are all screwed, but this scenario is not likely to occur (so says the Centers for Disease Control).

7. Brandonf

Brandonf Sponsor

The impact of the flu this season has been that for the last 4 days I have felt like dogshit.

8. oten

oten

There is no impact on me unless I get the flu - then I get to take a break and catch up on reading and TV

9. runny nose, sore throat, headache... stuff like that. O, and, possibly expiration.

10. keep your immune sys long and strong >eat plants rich in sterols and antioxidents :cool:

#10     Dec 12, 2003