What is the historical evidence that Jesus Christ lived and died?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by OddTrader, Apr 14, 2017.

1. #251     Dec 24, 2017
  2. #252     Dec 25, 2017
  3. Humpy

Humpy

The trouble with religion is that:-
    Their promoters always look back for answers and never forward.
    Philosophy etc. has moved forward a lot over the centuries not back.

#253     Dec 25, 2017
  4. There is always certain religious something that many philosophers seldom do!

#254     Dec 27, 2017
  5. %%
    Thanks for your comment LLugar; Hebrews 11;1 says ''faith is the title deed'' If one has not seen/receivd a title deed ;its because you do not want to, or you never went to a closing attorney.............................................................................................................

#255     Dec 27, 2019
  6. stu

stu

[​IMG]
    Merry Mythmas

#256     Dec 28, 2019

7. I don't believe every story in the Bible about Jesus or the other major characters.
    I think a lot of stories were created or exaggerated to make him larger than life or to
    make him more likable to the population that was pagan or worshiping other cults.

But the man was real and so were his disciples. Romans, Proverbs and the Sermon on the Mount will never go out of style. The lessons and values he taught are timeless.

I think that historical evidence existed at one time, but it was destroyed or it survives deep in the archives of the Vatican or other museums. But, it won't be released, because the evidence does not support the image we have created of him, or it would challenge other, established interests. Powerful people don't want us to see it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    #257     Dec 28, 2019
  8. stu

stu

Mythological beings are not real.
    Lessons and values which are timeless lose nothing by not attaching the word Jesus to them.

#258     Dec 29, 2019
  9. Wallet

Wallet

Seriously, if you don’t believe all the Bible, why believe any of it? Either Jesus was who He said He was (God incarnate, i.e. in the flesh) or He wasn’t.

If He wasn’t then all of Christianity is a farce.

If He was, then what are you going to do with that knowledge, and what are the consequences?

Walk into any room and utter the name, dagon, ba’al, osiris, zeus any other name et al. and no one will give you a second look.

Utter the name Jesus and watch what happens.

There’s a reason why Christianity has prospered and flourished worldwide from a few obscure believers..... Jesus asked Peter who he thought he was. You are the Christ(Messiah) Peter replied. Jesus said, you are Peter, and on this rock (the truth of Peter’s confession) I will build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
    Matt 16:18

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    #259     Dec 29, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  10. Jesus was a real person.
    His lessons and values are authentic.

I just think that the monks that recorded his history added a few bits and pieces to make him more attractive to others.

#260     Dec 29, 2019