What is the historical evidence that Jesus Christ lived and died?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by OddTrader, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Cuddles

Cuddles

You can claim Jesus was a charlatan, I get that;. But I'll lump you with Holocaust deniers if you're telling me he didn't exist.

#231     Nov 18, 2017
  2. jem

jem

On the contrary, it is the opposite of a Hobson's choice.
    its the Perfect choice.

“God did not send his Son into the world to judge the world guilty, but to save the world through him. People who believe in God’s Son are not judged guilty. Those who do not believe have already been judged guilty, because they have not believed in God’s one and only Son.” (
    John 3:17, 18, NCV)

Understand that in my understanding God is outside of time. He already knows your life.

Now, you have choice be judged on the works of your life or be judged by the work of Jesus's sacrifice for you.

You know what all the rules boil down to.
    Have you loved God with all your heart. Have you loved your neighbor as yourself?
    If so, you are good. No worries on judgment day. I believe you could look at God and say I did it. I loved you with all my heart all the time and I loved my neighbor as myself all the time. However, we already saw someone who tried that route. The rich Prince who told Jesus he kept all the commandments. Then Jesus said if you will be perfect sell everything and follow me.

For those of us who were not perfect on the earth, we have an out. Its really the same out the prince got.

Its the choice between everything or nothing. The choice should be as easy as taking your next breath.

If you fail to merit your way to eternal life ...
    you still have a choice for eternal life.
    That choice is not a hobson's choice.

Its the easiest choice there is.
    Choose God.

#232     Nov 22, 2017
  3. stu

stu

Adolf Hitler believed in God’s Son.

If you have the choice to either believe in God’s Son and be not judged guilty -or- not believe in God's son and be judged guilty, that is the very definition of Hobson's choice.

Love your neighbor as yourself (unless they are a slave / homosexual etc etc of course) ....or else:finger: is a threat more than anything else, not a moral standard.

By choosing a morally wanting , highly faulty supernatural God along with its questionable rules before what's moral, then you ain't even doing what's moral to begin with.

Easiest choice ain't always the best choice.
    Choose morality.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    #233     Nov 24, 2017
  4. Humpy

Humpy

Religion to me is another name for an " off the shelf philosophy ".
    Some like to cherry pick from established religions but one must take into account most religions were invented a long time ago in very different circumstances.

Some try to see patterns created from their own experiences and make their own philosophy.

#234     Nov 24, 2017
  5. jem

jem

1. the old hitler was a christian so Jesus is not moral canard.

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/2017/10/26/was-hitler-a-christian-an-atheist-or-neither/\

However, Weikart makes it clear that Hitler’s pro-Christian statementswere little more than lip serviceto his churchgoing constituents. Although Hitler was born and raised in historically Catholic Austria, he lost his faith in the Church at an early age. Weikart writes that the young Adolf was a rebellious student who frequently quarreled with his high school religion teacher and often mocked Christianity in class. Weikart’s excellent command of German is on display when he notes that in Mein Kampfand in private correspondence Hitler frequently used the term Pfaffe, a disparaging German term for a priest, to refer to clergymen. Hitler’s long-established anti-clericalism was evident after his rise to power as well, when Goebbels’ propaganda machine portrayed the Catholic priesthood as dominated by sexual perverts (on a side note, does that tactic sound familiar?).

In fact, Hitler’s real views on Christianity were so bizarre that they would actually be amusing in their imaginative eccentricity,if not for the fact that they were part of the worldview of a psychopath whose genocidal policies killed 11 million civilians and unleashed the bloodiest war in history. Weikart writes that Hitler, like his favorite philosopher, Nietzsche, disliked Christianity, but admired the figure of Jesus Christ. In Hitler’s view, Jesus himself was a Roman or Greek (Hitler believed that the ancient Greeks and Romans were the precursors of the Nordic “master race”) killed by the perfidious Jews.

2. the choice avail yourself of God's grace or be judged on your life is not a hobson's choice at all. god's grace or being judge on your own life. that is not a take it or leave it. Perhaps you would get in without Jesus' help.

3. love your neighbor as you would love yourself... period.
    It does not matter if they are gay or whatever.
    Not saying its easy... but that is what Jesus is one of the 2 great commandments.

4. It makes no sense to call Jesus morally wanting. but, perhaps someday you will desire to avail yourself of his Grace.

#235     Nov 25, 2017
  6. stu

stu

You said
    "People who believe in God’s Son are not judged guilty. its the Perfect choice.".

Adolf Hitler believed in God’s Son. He made that 'Perfect choice'. Therefore by your own piously arrogant words, Hitler is not judged guilty.

No amount of twisted Catholic apologetics will make what you said reasonable.

You think one(take it - god's grace) or the other (leave it - and be judged - a threat also) is not a take it or leave it?
    How come you imagine the choice between worship me or burn in hell is any more worthy a thing to say whether Kim Jong Un or Bible Jesus says it.

Jesus also tells you not to love your neighbor, yourself, your mother, father, son or daughter, more than him. Jesus compares your neighbor to dogs...period.

'If you don't do what I say you'll burn in hell, but I love you' , is a morally wanting Jesus.
    By threatening damnation and divine retribution, Bible Jesus shows no grace.

Making excuses for odious demands on any grounds, least of all superstitious religious ones, is by definition, morally wanting.

#236     Nov 26, 2017
  7. Whatever your genetic environmental predilection is, you can only be true to your nature. In your heart you will know what is right or wrong. So Jesus is a construct of that sense of right or wrong. Stay true to it, and you are with Jesus. If your sense of right or wrong or lack of, turns you into a demon, than when you come across the righteous, you will be put down.

#237     Nov 26, 2017
  8. jem

jem

your hitler argument is absurd.

A belief is not lip service. True belief or faith would guide your actions.
    hitler's actions shows no sign of belief in jesus. I believe God is smart enough to the know the difference.

(however, I hold open the possibility God will let people make that choice as they die or even after... I am not convinced we can rule out God's grace for someone any at any time. especially since we don't really understand time)

2. the choice may not be binary.
    we don't really know what the choice are, when they happen or if they are permanent.
    it could be multi tiered.

I note for an atheist you sure like to act like you know what God is and thinks.

http://y-jesus.com/jesus-say-about-hell/

C. S. Lewis reasons that it isn’t God who sends us to Hell. Those who will go there do so willfully, because they reject Christ’s free pardon for sin and judgment. Lewis writes,

“There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, “Thy will be done,” and those to whom God says, in the end, “Thy will be done.” All that are in Hell, choose it. Without that self-choice there could be no Hell. No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy will ever miss it. Those who seek, find. To those who knock, it is opened.”

#238     Nov 27, 2017
  9. stu

stu

The Jesus concept promises to bring a sword not peace. Requires people to hate themselves, their families and their brethren. Makes threats of damnation while at the time saying "I love you". Encourages others to consider themselves righteous for no other reason than saying they believe in the Jesus concept.

Question is how come people would accept and excuse that kind of wrong, if in their heart they knew what is right.

#239     Nov 27, 2017
  10. stu

stu

Hitler's declared belief and faith as he recorded it and professed it was no lip service. It was full hearted and like Jesus, he brought a sword.
    Ignore and excuse all you want but it will not change the fact. Belief and faith everyone knows condones what's bad as well as pronouncing what's good both at the same time.

True belief or faith is not necessarily true morality. Why cloud the issue with them.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    #240     Nov 27, 2017