What is the historical evidence that Jesus Christ lived and died?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by OddTrader, Apr 14, 2017.

#131     Jun 12, 2017
  2. %%
    True, DallasCF; but i call it Dallas Ft -Worth. Would that bother me most call it Dallas or Ft Worth ???,???? Fine with me. Its also called the Holy Bible ; bible means book. My Christian banker dad had a hunters Bible only 3 books. A lady asked are Christians in in the book of Joshua[6th book ]or Judges [7th book] I waited prayerfully ,24 hours like an accurate turtle. Sure are ;Hebrews 11 noted Joshua, Gideon[[7th book] They call them repenters in Romania, much more than Christians.................................................................................................Thanks.

One reason the Jews hated the Samaritans was not just really race alone;
    Samaritains only believed 5 book of OT, much more in Old Testament than 5.Thanks

#132     Jun 12, 2017
    DallasCowboysFan likes this.
  3. Sometimes humans just want to find the weakest and to hate them, instead of to protect them. Sad!

Jesus did say the right thing about Samaritans, imo!

#133     Jun 12, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  4. Looks like you have a pretty intelligent question. But I can only provide a fairly unintelligent answer below.

When I read a Bible of Birds, I expect I can learn a lot of stuff about birds on our beautiful earth.

When I read a Bible of Rivers, I expect I can learn a lot of stuff about rivers in this amazing world.

When I read a Bible of Pizzas, I expect I can learn a lot of stuff about pizzas around the wonderful globe.

... ...

#134     Jun 14, 2017
    DallasCowboysFan likes this.

5. This is all true. When someone defines something as a bible.....it is usually considered an all encompassing authority to a specific subject.

I think that the use of bible in those examples derives from the Holy Bible as an authority on morality and Christianity.

I just wonder where it originated from, when it was called a Bible and what it was called when they assembled the first books together.

Sometimes I ask too many questions.....:)

#135     Jun 14, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  6. Humpy

Humpy

In this day and age I suggest you forget JC and the New Testament. The human race is not ready for it yet.

#136     Jun 17, 2017
  7. %%
    Mostly or all written by Jews, inspired by the God of Israel. Dr Luke [gospel of Luke ]was most likely non Jewish , but cant prove it .....................................................................

#137     Jun 23, 2017
  8. #138     Jun 24, 2017
  9. jem

jem

its funny if I stay away from this thread long enough you find a new way to mis state history.

there is one questionable quote regarding Jesus in Josephus and one that virtually every real scholar accepts.

how many times do I have to correct you on this mis statement of history of yours.
    there are now many partial manuscripts which also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus

Modern scholarship has largely acknowledged the authenticity of the reference in Book 20, Chapter 9, 1 of the Antiquities to "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James"[12] and considers it as having the highest level of authenticity among the references of Josephus to Christianity.[13][1][2][14][15][16]

Almost all modern scholars consider the reference in Book 18, Chapter 5, 2 of the Antiquities to the imprisonment and death of John the Baptist also to be authentic and not a Christian interpolation.[17][18][19]

#139     Jun 27, 2017
  10. jem

jem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

Most scholars of antiquity agree that Jesus existed,[53][54][55][56] but scholars differ on the historicity of specific episodes described in the biblical accounts of Jesus.[15]:181 The only two events subject to "almost universal assent" are that Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist and that, between one and three years later, he was crucified by the order of the Roman Prefect Pontius Pilate.[13][57][58] Elements whose historical authenticity are disputed include the two accounts of the nativity of Jesus, the miraculous events including turning water into wine, walking on water and the resurrection, and certain details about the crucifixion.[59][60][61][62][63][64]

#140     Jun 27, 2017