What is the hardest college major?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stock_trad3r, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Learning english ain't hard. Hell I was talking it as a child. Didn't need no college for that. I reads pretty good to. It was science that stumped me with all that the earth revolves around the sun stuff. Shoot, anybody can see the sun comes up on one side and goes down on the other. It's obvious the sun goes around the earth.
    But what really has me confused is all you guys saying it's hard to be an engineer. Hell, you don't even half to learn to steer a train. It's on tracks. :D

#11     Dec 11, 2008
  2. the hardest college major is probably "Communications" :)

#12     Dec 11, 2008
  3. It seems like the concensus is engineering. I still stick by english because there are over 6 billion people in the world. How many of them can write well? Few few, even among the educated and middle class. In non western cicultures mathematics and physics seems to come easy, because it's mosty plug and chug as oppsed to writing which requires creativity. I took advanced math and that's what it was most of the time. Just memorize some formulas and then the profs grade the tests on a curve so you can 60% of the problems right and still get a B. Good writing requires much more finesse and skill.

#13     Dec 11, 2008
  4. #14     Dec 11, 2008
  5. skepticaltrader

skepticaltrader Guest

Mechanical Engineering is by far the hardest major at any major university.

I knew a lot of engineering students who couldn't even pass Thermo I, and that was the basic mechanical engineeing course you had to pass to move on to the harder courses in your pursuit of a Mechanical Engineeing degree.

#15     Dec 11, 2008
  6. The hardest major is basket weaving.

#16     Dec 11, 2008
  7. Dude, are you putting us on?

#17     Dec 12, 2008

8. werd :D

#18     Dec 12, 2008
  9. Thank you for starting my day off with a good laugh!:D I personally think my B.S. in Business Finance was the toughest. I had to figure out how to fit in all my extra curricular activities. Most of them involved the loss of massive amounts of brain cells. If I had stayed the science route I was on my 1st two years I would never have had time for these extra curriculars and would have been a much less rounded individual, or maybe warped would be a better word.
    All my buddies that stuck with the science/engineering route did a whole lot more studying in their last years than I did. Not because they had anymore work, it was just more difficult. I'll also say I saw the difference between students here and the Asian and Indian students is not that they are smarter, but that they study their asses off! I get after my kids every frickin day that the only difference between them and A's and understanding their work better is putting down the Xbox controller or turning off the tv before I get there and blow a gasket and turn it off and cracking open the books.

#19     Dec 12, 2008
  10. Anything in allied health.

I am an RN, I make as much as any engineer, and with no recession worries.

I was an EE major until I realized that I could get downsized, with economic swings. I have friends who are jobless, while I have to turn work away.

#20     Dec 12, 2008