What is the hardest college major?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stock_trad3r, Dec 10, 2008.

1. I conjecture that it is literature/Engligh. As evidenced on this forum and elsewhere people don't write well in general.

Math & Physics is plug and chug. Thats why Indians and Chinese excel at it. Need a thesis? Just rip a paper online, make some minor changes, resubmit, and presto you're a PHD physicist!

Literature is far more difficult. You can't fake a novel. You can't fool an English teacher. If you submit a paper with typos you get no points.

2. Engineering. They typically have the lowest average GPAs.

3. auspiv

auspiv

you're wrong. engineering by far, more specifically, engineering physics.

i'm studying to be a petroleum engineer at colorado school of mines now, and it is very, very hard. much harder than the bullshit majors, like psychology or philosophy. that being said, i dont regret taking the harder classes to learn more. i dont even regret not being able to party every night.

4. Electrical Engineering.

You should have heard the other engineering and physics majors whine and moan when they had to take their one EE class "Circuits and Systems" over at the EE building.

Whimps!

5. Organic Chemistry.

6. Heh...probably not the first to point that out, but its funny.

Ummm...Engineering. I'm an engineer, so I'm biased, but they would let anyone into the program. But to stay in you had to maintain a 2.0 GPA which was also the school's requirement. Yet, at least half didn't make it. I knew a couple of people that really wanted to be engineers and trashed their GPAs so bad in that quest they they got kicked out of the program *AND* the school and couldn't get back in. As for yours truly, I was a standout in highschool where it came to math and science. But it was all I could do to just hang on. Working and chasing women didn't help, but the homework assignments were insane...you had to balance sleep and grades if you worked. Later I took pre-reqs for an MBA and business classes were simple. Maintained a 4.0. Probably should have just done that from the beginning. I could have been somebody. :)

Back when I went in, engineering was a 5 year program. Now its 4 years, which I'm trying to wrap my head around. Don't see how they can teach it all in 4 years. There is a movement to require education comparable to a Master's to allow someone to sit for their professional engineering licensure. With bridge and crane collapses as of late, it willl probably be adopted.

SM

7. Get over yourself! I was an EE before I switched my major to a CE and we had to take that course in 4 hours instead of the expanded version consisting of two 3-hour courses. Same material, believe it or not. It wasn't that hard. The trick was that I bought a radio shack circuit board kit which allowed me to run my own experiments to see it for myself. Really helped. I don't think anyone should go into engineering if they don't have a natural curiousity for how things work. But the irony is that they spend so much time on theory and deriving stuff that the natural talent or interest doesn't really come into play until late in the program.

FWIW, the graduating EEs always seemed to command the highest starting salaries when I was going through. But when my class finished, we were smack in the middle of a recession and they couldn't get jobs. Kinda funny. Nice thing about being a Civil is the work is steady. As long as people keep living and making more people, there is always work to do.

SM

8. I wasn't smart enough to be an engineer so I opted for construction management instead with emphasis on the mechanical side (HVAC/Plumbing).

I was still able to get my FE license since I had a few years of hands-on experience in the trade. I make the same as most engineers, but I'm on call 24/7.

I really can't imagine English/Lit being that difficult unless you're extremely uncreative and a horrible speller.

9. Mav88

Mav88

I conjecture that it is literature/Engligh. As evidenced on this forum and elsewhere people don't write well in general.

Math & Physics is plug and chug. Thats why Indians and Chinese excel at it. Need a thesis? Just rip a paper online, make some minor changes, resubmit, and presto you're a PHD physicist!

Literature is far more difficult. You can't fake a novel. You can't fool an English teacher. If you submit a paper with typos you get no points.

You are a fucking moron stock trad3r, I think we all know that, so your opinion on just about anything is worthless. PhD physicist easy! GOD-DAMN you're a dumbass!

10. Yeah, that's why all the English majors make the big bucks.

#10     Dec 11, 2008