What Is The Dollar Worth ?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by libertad, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Not at present, but they have been and are likely to have greater metal value in the future, given the trend of the dollar. Pity it is a 2006 federal crime to melt currency or sell currency to a melter for that purpose...

#21     Nov 24, 2009
  2. Hmmmm, if this were in fact the case, it would be a very bad thing indeed. Would you be able to cite sources for this or provide specific details of your calculations/data?

#22     Nov 24, 2009
  3. It already is the case. So you don't know any family who earns less than $50k? Take a ride down middle America. Is anyone so disconnected they think most families are earning more than $50k per year? That they do not go to Walmart every week to squeeze their budgets?

What, do you have a butler who shops for you? Do you have no memory of prices seven years ago for staples that everyone needs? Or do you doubt that any part of what I described has increased, while the value of the dollar has gone down?

Or are you assuming that the dollar is NOT going down, that inflation has not eaten the dollar, or that the cost of living has NOT far outstripped wages in addition to the value of the dollar?

#23     Nov 24, 2009
  4. morganist

morganist Guest

i think what libertad is getting to in part correct me if i am wrong is that the american economy has no assets of any value to other countries or limited or dwindling in comparison. also the domestic economy is not self supporting. creating a situation where the dollar is less valuable due to the lack of demand for the above reasons. concluding that the dollar is over valued is that correct libertad. i apologise if that is a false understanding.

#24     Nov 24, 2009
  5. morganist

morganist Guest

he's english so he wouldn't know.

#25     Nov 24, 2009
  6. Pekelo

Pekelo

A very easy comparison for the dollar's purchasing power:

Visit the closest Dollar Store and see if the items are 99 cents or there are quite a few items (like gums) for $1.1....

#26     Nov 24, 2009
  7. The oil shock of the early 70s was a direct result of dollar devaluation. OPEC raised prices to offset the decreased value of payments. Those prices were an example of global inflation that affected all industrious nations.

#27     Nov 24, 2009
  8. The dollar is not finite. Gold is. There is what is above ground and what is below ground. There is no way to print gold.

#28     Nov 24, 2009
  9. No. Our military is built using our dollars. Our dollars can not be built using our military for any sustained period of time.

#29     Nov 24, 2009
  10. Oil was hit by supply and demand. So is everything else. Some things spike, drop and some lag for years.

But in the long run, inflation is the explanation why the dollar is worth 3% of 1913. But purchasing power has increased, not decreased.

#30     Nov 24, 2009