what is the difference between the appian X and Rushmore??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spieler, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Hi all,
    Matrox ???
    So you have at least 16 MB per monitor.
    With my solution (AGP plus PCI) you have 32 MB per monitor.
    It's simply!!!

I work so and I have XP Pro OS-> wonderful solution and
    very speedly.

Matrox technicians try to sell our product obviously.....
    In october Matrox will release a new version but 4 monitors and 16 Megabyte of memory per monitor...slower then my solution and expensive!!!!

#11     Apr 13, 2002
  2. exe

exe

Pellaz,

you're smart to have held off. I'm now sitting on this useless card. I just installed the driver and it has some errors just going into display settings (like the last time). And this second time, it's suppose to be non beta driver.

I will have to see if it works come Monday. The last time I installed the beta drivers (they didn't tell me it was beta), it froze when my data feed started downstreaming (but over the weekend, it was working fine).

Rushmore not ready for XP. I can guarantee that. And remember, there are no screen management software for XP at this time. And they told me they don't know when it's going to be ready.

Matrix1955,

this card or the Matrox multi card I think are the only cards that can do 4 digital outputs, and that's what I needed.

#12     Apr 13, 2002
  3. kowboy

kowboy

Well, I had the same idea to use the ATI 8500 AGP and two ATI 7200 Pci cards. Having received no contrary information from ATI prior to purchase, I used this for running four CRT monitors.

Had unsatisfactory results on Windows 98.

After numerous emails to tech support, finally received an email from ATI saying they did not support my configuration.

Fortunately, when I later did an upgrade to Windows 2000 Pro, the configuration did work satisfactorily.

Best to see if the configuration is supported or purchase another brand of quad card. And best to see if you think tech support will support you in a timely and responsive manner.

#13     Apr 14, 2002
  4. spieler

spieler

Appian are the only cards 100% certified with window 2000 pro.
    WIN 2000 pro is always recommanded buy direct access broker.

I get it since 1 year and very happy with it.
    As price is not really a matter ( i start a hedge fund and need the best) i will take the appian and let you know.

I buy the workstation with the card already installed .

4 EIZO 17'

I will let you know

#14     Apr 14, 2002
  5. wild

wild

6. Only small number of cards work properly with WIN98 if you use PCI+AGP slots.
    With Win2000 and XP all cards work fine in this configuration.

There are no reason to buy Appian!

Only if you work for them! lol

#16     Apr 14, 2002
  7. exe

exe

Matrix1955,

how would I go about getting 4 digital outputs using the AGP and PCI route?

The only thing close to that is what I read on Nvidia's site about their GeForce2 cards with dual DVI output where you can have one dual digital card running AGP and one running PCI, but go look for the specific product, and you won't be able to locate the model number or specific spec. Also, lots of card vendors use Nvidia chips making selecting the cards all the more complex. Nvidia however is coming out with a 4 port digital version called Quadro4 NVS but it's not out yet.

For those of you interested, my Rushmore running the driver v1.0 downloaded from the Appian site has crashed once over just this weekend. I doubt it will make it past 9:35am Monday when the datafeed starts streaming. I am seeing all the same symptoms I had using their beta drivers with XP Pro namely:
    1) Very lengthy Windows error message going into display settings.
    2) Multiple single pixels light up randomly on black background, namely on graphics while surfing the net. They turn from green and back to black. I can't duplicate this on a plain program putting the canvas to total black and it doesn't happen on all black graphic backgrounds.
    3) Windows Suspend function no longer works. When I unintalled the card and driver the last time and went back to my old card, the suspend function came back.
    4) This time when it crashed, my #1 digital monitor displayed "Out of range" message. This error code is from my monitor, and not from windows, as the signal totally goes out. I am not running any extra cables. My other #2 analog monitor stays up, but it's obvious the mouse no longer responds as the computer is frozen.

And I say it won't make it past 9:35am because that's what happened the last time. Data starts streaming, and the computer will either freeze( more common) or blacks out and get me that out of range message. This would happen every few minutes after reboot when I run my data feed and it streams. When I run my data feed over the weekend without data streaming, the system is ok (except that one crash). All in all, it's deja vu.

#17     Apr 15, 2002
  8. kowboy

kowboy

When you crash, are you sure it's not a bandwidth problem on your IP connection of a problem with the trading software?

I had a similar problem with my trading software which was particular to the software. At 9:35 or thereabouts, the program would freeze the computer when the data feed rate started up. I would have to turn off the computer and reboot.

I found out that I needed to increase the IP bandwidth to 384KB on the IP connection. The trading software would freeze if I received too much data all at once. This still happens in the AM once in a while, if I request data for too many charts all at once.

The reason I ask this, is that supposedly a 16 or 32MB video card is more than sufficient to keep up with any amount of data flow.

#18     Apr 15, 2002
  9. pellaz

pellaz

Hi,

I know when I was researching this that there were other threads where members were running the Matrox G550 and the G200MMS in the AGP + PCI...trying searching the threads to find it.

If I recall, they ran using the same drivers.

#19     Apr 15, 2002
  10. exe

exe

Kowboy,

I don't think it's a bandwidth issue since I can run this same computer with the same software and bandwidth with my Radeon 7500 card with the same two monitors. I've been running this configuration for over 6 months with rock solid stability.

I've also ran the same system with Matrox G450 dual analog and no problem whatsoever.

As I've mentioned, I get a windows error message going into display settings, telling me the drivers are for an older OS type and is not supported and a default vga driver will be replaced instead (although it is not replaced). Also, my Windows suspend feature doesn't work. Switch back to my ATI Radeon 7500, I have non of those problems.

I think I may have to get a PCI card to supplement my ATI Radeon 7500 and just forget going the digital route for my LCD's.

#20     Apr 15, 2002