what is the difference between market depth and level 2 quotes

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by cwl18, Aug 4, 2007.

1. cwl18

cwl18

Hi all

i admit i am a newbie in trading and i have been reading a lot of threads around DOM, market depth etc as i would like to get a more understanding of the topic.

one thing i am not sure is the term of market depth (or DOM) and level 2 quotes, do they mean the same thing in terms of index futures such as ES or YM?

i saw nasdaq have level 2 quotes and NYSE have openbook, do they mean the same thing as market depth or different in stocks?

thanks in advance

2. cwl18

cwl18

noone had an answer?

3. Lucrum

Lucrum

Here is a brief description of Level II.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/trading/06/Level2Quotes.asp

I haven't traded stocks in years so I haven't kept up with all the latest and greatest.
    The DOM on say YM or ES, unlike level II on a stock, will show only the price and quantity at each level not who the bid or offer belongs to.

4. cwl18

cwl18

thanks for the link

so can i say that there is no level 2 quotes on index futures like the e-minis? just a DOM?

5. Lucrum

Lucrum

Correct

6. cwl18

cwl18

Thanks

7. I remember in 1969 overhearing a guy in the Jets camp asking about blocking schemes as finessed by the San Diego Chargers.

Weeb Eubank glowered at him and said:

"Fuhgetaboutit. Let's see how fast you can do the 40!"

My advice is begin with the basics: First get mentally prepared for the daunting task ahead---learning to be a professional trader.

Alex L. Wasilewski
    Co-Founder & Head Trader
    Trades That Work
    www.puretick.com
    1-877-GOLONG1 (1-877-465-6641)