what is the difference between buying silver bars vs silver ETF?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IronFist, Jun 5, 2012.

1. If you hold a silver contract to expiration do you take delivery of 5,000oz of silver?

#21     Jun 12, 2012
  2. #22     Jun 12, 2012
  3. #23     Jun 12, 2012
  4. WHY IS THE TRUTH SO HARD FOR FOLKS TO ACCEPT? – Each of us set up what we think as reality through our belief systems....

#24     Jun 12, 2012
  5. I'm not sure I understand why that's an issue.

#25     Jun 12, 2012
  6. Hey capt. Caps, I said "what" because your post made no sense.

This one also makes no sense. What does one's reality have to do with buying physical silver pushing up the prices?

#26     Jun 12, 2012
  7. I posted this in another thread, you may consider browsing through Seeking Alpha Articles regarding the various Metals ETF articles... and research Contango - I only posted upper level links, requires a bit of drilling down...
    [I referenced Gold, but the same applies to Silver and a few other commodities...]

You will find that many ETF's like GLD, SLV, UNG, USO, VXX are extremely inefficient [i.e flawed]

Compare the various ETF's performance to their respective futures contracts: UNG/NG -- USO/CL, VXX/VIXX, etc...
    [Doubt you will want to buy long term any of them...]

#27     Jun 12, 2012
  8. Short answer - yes.

I have never bought a silver contract in my life but a good friend trades crude and a few metals and he says that the COMEX starts calling bugging him a few weeks before expiration pretty much telling you to roll over your contract or there will be a hefty invoice sent to you in order for you to receive the physical.

So if you are willing to pay for the freight and delivery then yes, your contract will expire and you will eventually own the physical.

#28     Jun 12, 2012
  9. Lol seriously? How much would shipping be on all that?

Dumb question: who ends up with all the contracts if everyone sells them before they expire? There has to be a buyer right? All these people aren't taking delivery on silver, barrels of oil and frozen orange juice.

#29     Jun 13, 2012