What is the biggest problem facing America today?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, May 1, 2006.

What is the biggest problem facing America today?

1. Lack of Congressional leadership

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Social security and entitlements

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. The war in Iraq

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. Iran's nuclear development

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Terrorism and Bush's war on terror

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Illegal immigration

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  7. Oil and gasoline prices

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Homosexual Marriage

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  9. Taxation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Budget deficit

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Very good! You are catching on. Death is for the fictional ego. This is what I meant when I said you must 'die' to 'yourself'. It's responsible for ideas about separation, among other unworkable scenarios. When the fiction is recognized, you can transform it with a workable identity. That's when you start Living with a capital L. Some who really get this, can get their power back, and will not die biophysically unless explicitly chosen.

Regarding the biggest 'problem', let us consider fear. It is a human creation, maintained by the fictional ego.

Jesus

#31     May 3, 2006
  2. Population of the US = 298,444,215 (July 2006 est.)
    Oil - consumption: 20.03 million bbl/day (2003 est.)

Population of China = 1,313,973,713 (July 2006 est.)
    Oil - consumption: 6.391 million bbl/day (2004)

Population of India = 1,095,351,995 (July 2006 est.)
    Oil - consumption: 2.32 million bbl/day (2003 est.)

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ch.html
    http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/in.html

So, two countries with combined population of about 7.5 to 8 times the population consumes less than half the oil of the US. Didn't realize that, but we must be gas/oil monsters, like my cookie monster cousin. From the above reference, "the US is the largest single emitter of carbon dioxide from the burning of fossil fuels"... and we should be blaming the Indians and Chinese for carbon dioxide emission... :confused:

#32     May 3, 2006
  3. :cool:

#33     May 3, 2006
  4. jem

jem

But with oil that oil we have great gdp, make a lot of money and by stuff from the rest of the world and put your poor asses to work.

Oil is allocated to those who use it effectively. It is called pricing.

#34     May 3, 2006
  5. ElCubano

ElCubano

we consume 10 times ( or something in that neighborhood ) more than an person from india and porbably more than 10 times what a chinese consumes...that they have 500 million more people doesnt make them more of a consumer per capita...we are 5% of the population and we consume 30-35% of what Mother Earth has to offer...

http://www.pbs.org/kcts/affluenza/show/show.html

#35     May 3, 2006
  6. ElCubano

ElCubano

thank you

#36     May 3, 2006
  7. All that oil goes to transport our sorry asses from our suburban homes to our over priced down town office spaces in the gas guzzlers.

Our GDP is based on consumption.. “consumer spending represents two-thirds of the economy.” http://www2.gsb.columbia.edu/ipd/j_gdp.html

By the way jem, what did you mean by "your poor asses"... are you saying that anyone who is not in the US is poor?

#37     May 3, 2006
  8. Yes, I can't argue with your stats (except they are two or three yrs old) but oil consumption isn't the only measure of consumption, pollution, enviro havoc.

The US has enviromental regulations, India and China have none, comparable to the US. I'd rather be a keystone species or an endangered species on this side of the world, rather than in Asia any day . . .

#38     May 3, 2006
  9. jem

jem

yes I am saying the swiss are poor and the uae are poor and Canada is poor and those in Monaco are poor and people in Tokyo are poor every person living outside the United States is poor. Yes implicitly it must be my belief that if you do not live in America you are just a piss ant.

cmon what was the point of asking such a frivilous question.

By the way the oil might be used to commute people to work but those people are producing.

#39     May 3, 2006
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

pollution isn't a measure of consumption it is a by product .... per capita no one consumes more than the USA..there is no way no how anyone can argue that...you can spin it all you want but you cant argue the fact that we consume more than anyone...im not saying im not one of those consumers....hell my wife throws away more food from our fridge than some may eat in a week in some parts of the world..but this is a major problem and it is in fact probably one of the major issues we face today...this isn't a point the finger or we are better or richer or smarter...the Bottom line is we only have one Mother Earth and we are consuming way too much and while we may not feel it now; i can assure you down the road it will be felt big time by our grandkids and their kids and so forth and it doesn't matter what part of the World they will be in...peace

#40     May 3, 2006