What is the biggest problem facing America today?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, May 1, 2006.

What is the biggest problem facing America today?

1. Lack of Congressional leadership

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Social security and entitlements

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. The war in Iraq

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. Iran's nuclear development

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Terrorism and Bush's war on terror

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Illegal immigration

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  7. Oil and gasoline prices

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Homosexual Marriage

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  9. Taxation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Budget deficit

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. Pabst

Pabst

I see only two problems that could yield historic ramifications.

1. The Earth. Even if global warming is just market "noise"(no one really knows), the fact remains that someday Miami (for sure) or even NYC will sustain unimaginable damage from a tropical storm. The Bay Area, Los Angeles, Tokyo or Seattle will be WASTED by a quake killing tens of thousands. And of course pandemic. Events that were unnoticed a century or two ago will repeat in areas where millions now live.

2. Islam. Despite the 1980's wrong rhetoric, the Muslim world particularly, is becoming LESS secular. Nations like Pakistan and Indonesia along with Iran's peculiar fascination with terror could become powder kegs someday. Who knows where China's alliances will lie. You may be willing to live with Islam but is Islam willing to share the Earth with you?

#21     May 2, 2006
  2. 1. Fence/Secure borders, stop the bleeding.
    2. Punish employers with severe fines, and back taxes for cheaters.
    3. No anchor babies, must be mother must be legally in America to have a child born in America obtain immediate citizenship.
    4. Temporary 6 month Visa for illegals. During that period they must learn English or be deported. They must show employment or be deported.
    5. After 6 months if they speak English and have a job/school, then apply for citizenship and get in line.
    6. Treat them as criminals, on probation. If they are working, paying taxes, striving to be a citizen, renew their Visa.

NO AMNESTY, but rather probation if they are moving toward becoming Americans like any other person who wants to immigrate to America.

#22     May 2, 2006
  3. Ricter

Ricter

The belief that we are a separate ego, existing independently of others.

#23     May 2, 2006
  4. Pabst

Pabst

Do you mean that when I die you're coming with me? Separate planes of mortality drive men toward isolation....

#24     May 2, 2006
  5. Ricter

Ricter

No. What I mean is that there is not really a you, or an I. They are fictions. That being said, when "you" die, part of "me" does indeed die.

#25     May 2, 2006
  6. Pabst

Pabst

For Whom the Bell Tolls

No man is an island entire of itself; every man
    is a piece of the continent, a part of the main;
    if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe
    is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as
    well as any manner of thy friends or of thine
    own were; any man's death diminishes me,
    because I am involved in mankind.
    And therefore never send to know for whom
    the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.

MEDITATION XVII
    Devotions upon Emergent Occasions
    John Donne

#26     May 2, 2006
  7. Ricter

Ricter

Nice. Now let me offer one:

"The sole means now for the saving of the beings of the planet Earth would be to implant again into their presences a new organ . . . of such properties that every one of these unfortunates during the process of existence should constantly sense and be cognizant of the inevitability of his own death as well as the death of everyone upon whom his eyes or attention rests.
    Only such a sensation and such a cognizance can now destroy the egoism completely crystallized in them."

G.I. Gurdjieff

#27     May 2, 2006
  8. OVERCONSUMPTION of mother earth...and no one does it better than us good ole' Americans.
    China and India go blameless? Shame on you

#28     May 2, 2006
  9. OVERCONSUMPTION of mother earth...and no one does it better than us good ole' Americans.
    China and India go blameless? Shame on you

#29     May 2, 2006
  10. jem

jem

The lack of leadership in Congress, the fact that money buys legislation instead of need. The fact that these crappy Congressman will do what they can to get money for re election.

The fact that the opposition party is the lamest bunch of losers in history.

We know the problems and we even know some of the solutions. Yet our legislature will not do what is right.

Clearly we should build a secure border. What is stopping these tremendous assholes from building a fence and at the same time come up with some sort of immigration program for workers.

Secure the borders. Legalize Pot to save money and offset the costs.

Fix the budget. Create a reasonable health care plan. Put pressure on the countries selling cheep goods to us but not buying our products. Put in place legislation to rebuild core industries. Really come up with alternative energy plans. Allow shareholders to vote for compensation for executives. Make people in prison work.

Elect Pabst next time he runs.

#30     May 3, 2006