What is the biggest problem facing America today?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ZZZzzzzzzz, May 1, 2006.

What is the biggest problem facing America today?

1. Lack of Congressional leadership

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Social security and entitlements

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. The war in Iraq

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. Iran's nuclear development

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Terrorism and Bush's war on terror

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Illegal immigration

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  7. Oil and gasoline prices

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Homosexual Marriage

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  9. Taxation

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Budget deficit

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. I moved to an island in the Caribbean.

#11     May 2, 2006
  2. ElCubano

ElCubano

Watch DEAL OR NO DEAL.... :D

#12     May 2, 2006
  3. People who think God is guiding them...aka, Bush and all of his cronies.

#13     May 2, 2006
  4. FredBloggs

FredBloggs Guest

whats wrong with queer eye for the straight guy?

:D :D

#14     May 2, 2006
  5. The encroachment of government into every aspect of our lives

#15     May 2, 2006
  6. qazmax

qazmax

Excessive government

Excessive government jobs (Synthetic Wellfare)

Excessive wellfare: Encouraging a wellfare dependant community by always increasing payments for unwanted behavior. (If confused please see Pavlov's Dogs)

Willingness to suspend common sense at the risk of offending someone.

A tolerance of criminal behavior coupled with "hand-cuffing" the authorities of whom we charge with the duty to deter criminal behavior.

:)

#16     May 2, 2006
  7. edjucation?

Poll Shows Many Can't Find La. on Map
    May 02 10:06 AM US/Eastern
    Email this story

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID
    Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON

Despite the wall-to-wall coverage of the damage from Hurricane Katrina, nearly one-third of young Americans recently polled couldn't locate Louisiana on a map and nearly half were unable to identify Mississippi.

Americans between the ages of 18 and 24 fared even worse with foreign locations: six in 10 couldn't find Iraq, according to a Roper poll conducted for National Geographic.

"Geographic illiteracy impacts our economic well-being, our relationships with other nations and the environment, and isolates us from the world," National Geographic president John Fahey said in announcing a program to help remedy the problem. It's hoping to enlist businesses, nonprofit groups and educators in a bid to improve geographic literacy.

Planned is a five-year, multimedia campaign called My Wonderful World that will target children 8 to 17. The goal is to motivate parents and educators to expand geographic offerings in school, at home and in their communities.

They will have their task cut out for them, judging by the results of the survey of 510 people interviewed in December and January.

Among the findings:

_ One-third of respondents couldn't pinpoint Louisiana on a map and 48 percent were unable to locate Mississippi.

_ Fewer than three in 10 think it important to know the locations of countries in the news and just 14 percent believe speaking another language is a necessary skill.

_ Two-thirds didn't know that the earthquake that killed 70,000 people in October 2005 occurred in Pakistan.

_ Six in 10 could not find Iraq on a map of the Middle East.

_ While the outsourcing of jobs to India has been a major U.S. business story, 47 percent could not find the Indian subcontinent on a map of Asia.

_ While Israeli-Palestinian strife has been in the news for the entire lives of the respondents, 75 percent were unable to locate Israel on a map of the Middle East.

_ Nearly three-quarters incorrectly named English as the most widely spoken native language.

_ Six in 10 did not know the border between North and South Korea is the most heavily fortified in the world. Thirty percent thought the most heavily fortified border was between the United States and Mexico.

Joining in the effort to improve geographic knowledge will be the 4-H, American Federation of Teachers, Asia Society, Association of American Geographers, National Basketball Association, National Council of La Raza, National PTA, Smithsonian Institution and others.

"Geography exposes children and adults to diverse cultures, different ideas and the exchange of knowledge from around the world," said Anna Marie Weselak, president of the National PTA. "This campaign will help make sure our children get their geography _ so they can become familiar with other cultures during their school years and move comfortably and confidently in a global economy as adults."

#17     May 2, 2006
  8. Vhehm,

I think you have it.

Education and engendering virtues.

Laura is working on teenage isssues; Nationally, I wish that it could have become clear by now that a generation or two is now coming in place and not assuming responsibilities. It just didn't work out apparently.

Here along the border it is great to still see the values of becoming American are at play. The honor rolls of our schools are loaded with those who are fulfilling the dream still. Small buinesses abound and they are really taking care of business so to speak.

It is devastating to see that higher education does not have nearly the capability to produce what we produced in the past to keep this country's corporate America rolling. It just went away unseen apparently.

It is amazing to see the US become owned by others and to have the US "owe" the world our future.

Leaders come from the middle class and educational centers.

I am glad to see so many verterans running for office. We have been dumping every in office politician in this area election by election. Our Congressman finally announced he isn't running after the community let him have it in forums, etc....

#18     May 2, 2006

9. Hey Zzz,

I'd like to hear your solution to America's problem with immigration, if you'd like to share.

#19     May 2, 2006
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

Math, geography and english grammar dont bring home the bacon for 75-80% of the population ( a number i pulled out me ass, but ya get the picture ) ..you are right there is a problem with education ( not edjucation as you spelled it :D ) and its that they are teaching the wrong stuff to most students who dont continue to college when they graduate from high school...teach them mechanics, how to build and fix an a/c and more technical stuff and it would be better for the majority of people who like i said dont continue their higher education...

p.s. the guy i sit next to on a dialy basis asks me how to spell this and that or how much is this times that... nigga drives 3 sportcars lives in a $1.2 million condo and made about $2 mill last year...i shit you not..peace

#20     May 2, 2006