What is the best way you can give back to people in your community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Max E., Jun 14, 2017.

1. Max E.

Max E.

What is the best way you can give back to people in your community?

When i was younger this never really bothered me, when i was in my early 20's and i figured out trading the only mindset was:

"make money, then if its a good year stroke a cheque to the charity of your choice." Party your ass off!!!!"

This mindset was fine when i first started to trade when i was 20, make money try to be a good guy then party, then repeat the cycle.

But now that im 33, i start to realise that staring at charts and just doing math all day, and adding lines to a chart doesnt feel quite so important, the party ended, and now i add no value to society, im just moving pieces of paper around all day. Chasing a number i will probably never achieve, at first it was a million now its 10, but its just a perpetual grind that never gets there.

All of a sudden my life looks pretty empty, i really want to have the ability to legitimately help someone, not just stroking a cheque, or throwing 3 bucks to some homeless guy while you walk past him.

Especially after the shocking images tonight, so i ask you guys,

Where is the best place you can add value to society, by contributing and actually helping someone, not just a cheque?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  2. kandlekid

kandlekid

I dunno. I think it's a day to day thing. I read somewhere that in parts of China, if someone is hurt, no-one will help, apparently because then they are responsible for medical bills (may or may not be true). Anyway, I go to Russia alot. Over there, there is much more a sense of "community" (our perception of Russia may be tainted by cold war sterotypes). Anyway, I come back here, and I think to myself "what a hellhole". It's an attitude thing. It seems like everyone here is only out for themselves (I can't of course exclude myself).

Max E. and DallasCowboysFan like this.
  3. kandlekid

kandlekid

And you ride the subway here in NYC, and everyone is either texting, gaming, or listening to music. Which, I guess, in itself is fine, but it just reinforces the idea that everyone is into themselves. And there is always the guy or gal on the bus or subway who either plays their music really loud or talks loud on the phone (usually in a language that I don't understand). No consideration for others.

I think if you want to make a difference, you don't want to be that person. You want to have consideration for others. That's how you can help the community.

And I guess that I can state for the record that I "have my moments". Who in NY doesn't ? But surprisingly, we are all trying to get along.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  4. %%
    I like giving to the church, + Israel;
    but people give me so many clothes, i take some to a local non profit.

Bought a Jack Schwager[Market Sense] from GoodWill Houston,TX[mail order] but i'm not sure that is giving, in the strictist sense, even though it was mutual benefit.

My neighbor likes to give from her garden+ since her husband is a farmer , i usually help them out by accepting their garden gifts. LOL; but ever met some that like to give, you will offend them if you politely refuse??I give away about 10% +of my tomatoes, but that is not much.Hope this helps,MaxE.
    Another good guide line if you have not used something, in a year most likely you may not?? So consider giving it away......................................................................................

[I given my time sometimes when i knew it was a high risk; like kandle kid noted NYC, , except i have called the cops on punks that were hell raising, knowing that the crooks usually who find out who calls, so i'm not suggesting this for anyone else]

Max E. and vanzandt like this.
  5. Max E.

Max E.

Yeah it helps a bit cause it gives me ideas, but im looking for something hands on, not just donations, like is there any way i could find a war Veteran or something who was injured who i could help out, or even an old lady who cant do it themselves.

I just want to do something besides just cutting a check, something hands on.

Guess i could probably volunteer to tutor math, i got a 93% in my university calculus class, the only one i ever took cause it was necessary for an economics degree, but math and numbers have always made sense to me.

Do any of you guys know how you would go about volunteering to tutor students in math?

murray t turtle and vanzandt like this.
  6. vanzandt

vanzandt

Seek... and ye shall find.

Max E. and murray t turtle like this.
  7. volente_00

volente_00

The most important thing one can give is their time

If you really want to brighten someone's day, start spending time volunteering at any retirement home. There are people there that are forgotten by their families and your small act will make a huge difference

Max E. likes this.
  8. franT

franT

Make some dough. Bake some cookies.

9. %%
    Or if you are like some us, buy some........ to give LOL I used to fish with an old timer, he gave all his fish away. I said JR, you ever eat fish?? He said if i want to eat fish=i'll open a can of tuna fish.......................................................................................

10. maxpi

maxpi

I give back to all the kids in my community. I tell them to go to the library and learn useful stuff... and stay off my lawn...

#10     Jun 16, 2017
    Max E. and murray t turtle like this.