What is the Best Way to Lose 20 pounds and keep it off...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by jem, Nov 25, 2017.

1. FX xtc 2

FX xtc 2

Most definitely , intermittent fasting .. skip 1 meal a day. Only eat when you're starving . Drink coffee and water exclusively . Stop eating all sugar , go easy on fruits.

To keep the weight off : stop looking for comfort in food . ( easier said than done )

#11     Nov 26, 2017
  2. traderob

traderob

I took off 10kg about ten years ago and have kept it off - and I wasnt fat .

I used hard diet for 6 weeks - and moderate diet ever since.
    Plus intense exercise of different types - 6 hours every week. Diet is still the hardest part so I would rather put in an extra 2 hours of swimming or gym a week than keep a strict diet.

Motivation comes in the form of a young and lovely woman. And I do competitive sports.
    Without having some extrinsic motivation it is too easy to compare with my colleagues and let it all go.

#12     Nov 26, 2017
    tomorton likes this.
  3. Hooti

Hooti

Ketogenic ...anti-cancer, anti-inflamation. Sleep better. Mentally sharper. And you are not hungry, weight loss is a side affect. Because not hungry, easy to do the intermittent fasting also -- which has significant benefits. They work together. [Intermittent fasting... eating all your calories in a 6 hour period or less, and fasting the rest of the day.]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    #13     Nov 26, 2017
    Pekelo likes this.
  4. spindr0

spindr0

Losing weight is simply a function of consuming fewer calories than your burn rate. To do that, you have to consume fewer calories and/or exercise more. However, that's easier said than done.

Fasting is not a healthy way to diet. The Atkins Diet can be effective but has risks if overdone (can increase cholesterol levels, risk of kidney stones, colon cancer) and if there are some existing underlying medical issues (for example, diminished kidney function). Extreme diets can also be effective ("give up all ...") but are also prone to snap back wait gain as well as nutritional deficiency.

The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to alter your diet combined with whatever amount of exercise you can manage on a regular basis. Find every way that you can to substitute complex carbs for simple carbs. IOW, more fruits (in moderation) and lots of vegetables with no candy, desserts, snack foods, sugar flavored anything, bread, etc. (a low Glycemic Index diet). Drink a minimum of 1/2 a gallon of water every day, always. More if you can. Graze every few hours rather than eating three large meals a day.

Only discipline and resolve will make this work. You can't behave for 6 days and fall off the wagon on the 7th day and eat a Mrs. Smith's pie for lunch. And if you want to take this past losing 20 pounds to achieving good nutrition, eat as little red meat, fast food and other cholesterol filled delights as possible.

Changing your lifestyle gradually allows your body to adapt to those changes. That acclimation makes the snap back weight gain less likely.

Good luck!

#14     Nov 26, 2017
    Slartibartfast likes this.
  5. "... spindr0 said:
    Losing weight is simply a function of consuming fewer calories than your burn rate. To do that, you have to consume fewer calories and/or exercise more. However, that's easier said than done..."

If you ate only junk food but limited your calories/day, you'd lose weight. Your body wouldn't like that much, however.

1. Eat good food.

2. Limit calorie intake to ~1800 per day.

3. Exercise will speed the process.

4. Be patient. Taking weight off takes longer than putting it on.

#15     Nov 26, 2017
  6. 2rosy

2rosy

What do you eat in a day? Cut it in half

#16     Nov 26, 2017
  7. Assuming your workout routine is on point and you have a healthy amount of muscle development.

1) Estimate your daily maintenance using any of the online TDEE calculators.
    2) Eat 250-500 calories under your daily maintenance.
    3) your macros should consist of .8g of protein and .5g of fats for each lb of body weight. Fill in the rest however you like, preferably w complex carbs because you will need sustained energy levels while you are cutting. Time your sugar/simple carbs intake around workouts.
    4) watch the scale and make sure you are dropping 2-4lbs per month. If you are dropping faster/slower then increase/decrease your carb calories only.
    5) if you are losing strength in the gym than reduce your deficit by bumping up the carbs. You want to keep muscle loss at a minimum. The faster your weight drops the higher the likelihood of muscle loss.

Should hit your goal in 5-10 months at which point you will have likely learned how to adjust your calories to match any future goals.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    #17     Nov 26, 2017
    FX xtc 2 likes this.
  8. tomorton

tomorton

That will work. Same as whatever you eat while standing up, the calories don't count.

#18     Nov 26, 2017
  9. schweiz

schweiz

Good information for free did not work. Pronokal did so I don't regret it.
    I tried a lot of free things. Nothing worked for me and on top of that losing 10 kilos would take months, for some even years, and for many it will never work. I took the short pain and have the result I tried to have the last few years but could never achieve. You will never lose just like that 10 kilos in 6 weeks just by eating less. If you eat less you should also watch that you don't miss any kind of vitamins. Just eating less is not healthy.

The price was no problem as I am a very successful trader like everybody on ET. LOL.
    Cheap can end up expensive.

#19     Nov 26, 2017
  10. Its unrealistic for most, but if you can go to a tropical setting where infrastructure is minimal and food choices are also minimal. You will drop 20 pounds without even trying. Tropical islands are best for this.

#20     Nov 26, 2017