What is the best approach for this trade ?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by traderwald, Aug 23, 2019.

1. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

You can exit your 2950 for ~$1.50 right now.
    If you insist on staying in, sell the 2955 ASAP.

#51     Aug 29, 2019
    bone likes this.
  2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

{chirping crickets...}
    Fine, then!
    Sell 2x2955
    Buy 1x2960
    pocket $1.95
    RISK FREE.

["And what if the market goes to 2955 tomorrow??" You wish.]

#52     Aug 29, 2019
    bone likes this.
  3. Hi @tommcginnis

I do read up and try to understand the market parameters as best as I can. As of now though I am looking for suggestion to best close this trade with min. L. I do not know what sunk cost means - I googled it and the answer does not link to this trade at least in mi understanding (it has more results about propert market)

I do not understand how you say the max L. is $1.35 without adding the $21 on the put and also as said above - Sunk costs - so I am not sure how to read this.

I already closed the call of 2950 as of now (for 1.85 and made 1.12 points) and sold a call for 2945 for abt 2.77 points. Seems like I have abt 14 points on the put to go (not sure exactly how many points because I need to find how to get a list of trades that I have done and the P/L on them in a simple format. IB has very confusing statements and does not have a simple list of trades with P/L on them. Also where does it show P/L on a credit spread 28 Aug that closed OTM). Hence need simple suggestions if possible (i.e. cannot understand some of the jargon as now).

Appreciate your inputs.

Hi @ bon

I understand what leg means in trading. I am looking to understand the full statement abt "not opening up the legs when closing the position". I do not understand if you mean "existing legs should also be closed along with the underlying position" or you mean "should not open new legs when closing the position"

Thank you for your inputs !

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    #53     Aug 29, 2019
  4. traderjo

traderjo

I keep asking you a simple question about your original position but I don't know why you shy away from disclosing it
    One and last time
    This is what we know so far
    Long to open ES at 2936.30
    Bought PUT @strike 2935 for -26.55 point
    Soled a Call @ strike? for +XXX? ( yes we know you made 5 point by closing this but what was the original?
    You max risk ( call it whatever you like ) = (2936.3-2935) + 26.55
    = 1.3 +26.55 = 27.85 Points
    Now take the CALL premium away from it =?
    Max Upside = Any ? depends on the strike of the soled call
    End of story

#54     Aug 29, 2019