What is success?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aphexcoil, Dec 18, 2003.

1. defining success with material possessions is typical when one is young, particullarly if one experienced an 'average' lifestyle via parents but was aware of how the wealthy live.

the inherent problem with this philosophy is it is never enough. you get your nice cars, large house, travel, et al--then everyone you hang with has the same thing or better so you are back to feeling 'average' again --even though you left your original 'peers' in the dust. it is a never ending cycle--- success has to come from within and has nothing to do with material things however nice they may be. i am learning this the hard way.

best,

surfer

#21     Dec 18, 2003
  2. jem

jem

I wrote a long answer referencing Pete Townshend's Empty Glass album cover and St. Francis. However, I realize it is the balance that one needs to strike between achieving greatness and achieving happiness. Greatness usually takes incredible dedication and time frequently to the exclusion of current happiness. and i write this as i hold my two year son who sick with the flu and I have trouble leaving god out of this answer because liitle life is amazing.
    Finally, I am not satisfied with my accomplishments but that does not make me unhappy so I do not fit in the poll.

#22     Dec 18, 2003
  3. volente_00

volente_00

"success is what you make it,
    nothing more nothing less"

#23     Dec 19, 2003
  4. DTK

DTK

#24     Dec 19, 2003
  5. DTK

DTK

#25     Dec 19, 2003
  6. "Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got
    I'm still (I'm still)
    Jenny from the block
    Used to have a little (Now I Have a lot)
    No matter where I go (I know where I came from)"

I've noticed Jenny loves to indulge in the better things in life.

I've noticed when one doesn't have much, one becomes more spiritual and more into appreciating the little things. When one becomes "inflated," then whoa!, its the only the best will do attitude and lifestyle.

#26     Dec 19, 2003
  7. Ken_DTU

Ken_DTU

excellent points re family, raising kids well, being the best of accomplishments... no matter one's fame, publication history, or other contributions...

there's nothing that beats the sense of accomplishment of knowing you've done the best you can for the kid(s) you've been a parent for.

Having an oceanfront hawaii condo and new cars and all the rest of it helps though of course, too - lets me know I did something right .... again, though, it goes back to being able to provide for family.... plus being there for them, to be a good teacher/role model.

there was some poem somewhere about success... touches on it..

Ken

#27     Dec 19, 2003
  8. DTK

DTK

That's a very cute Hollywood spin on things.

I’m not saying that humility and social contribution is the end all that everyone should strive for, but why spend it on stuff just to impress others if you truly have no utility for it.

I like to think that I am both spiritual and appreciate the little things… but as far as having or not having much in terms of material goods, I’ll just borrow a few words from Chris Rock and say, “I can count too. I’m counting these rocks b**ch!”

Hmm… This discussion reminds me of an article in Worth a few years ago which was an interview with Lee Ainslie of Maverick Capital. He made himself out to be pretty modest and gave the simple reason that he had a very high degree of confidence in the fund that he started and wanted to keep as much of his money in it as possible. He mentioned that his last big purchase was a car that his wife asked him to buy because their old one seemed to be somewhat unsafe for their new baby.

#28     Dec 19, 2003
  9. I define success as having the resources (financial, emotional,etc) to have and do the things that will allow me to grow as a person. By my own definition I'm still not successful because I have to spend some of my daily hours working for other people, which means I'm not spending those hours working on or for myself.

#29     Dec 19, 2003
  10. ElCubano

ElCubano

Anytime you want to compare notes or statements and i dont mean your trading account at e-trade....please pm me...

#30     Dec 19, 2003