What is success?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aphexcoil, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Excellent!, sincerest congrats.

#11     Dec 18, 2003
  2. Pabst

Pabst

Man's futile quest for materialistic belongings and narcissism clearly predates E Television, Vanity Fair, and the war in Iraq.

#12     Dec 18, 2003
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

It sure does Pabst! You want to see materialism, vanity, and narcissism? Look no further then the 1920's. Makes today look pale in comparison. Excellent book titled "Once in Golconda : A True Drama of Wall Street 1920-1938"by John Brooks (Author). This is a great read about a time in history that gives us a little perspective about our current times. To blame the media or government is absurd. I can't remember, did we have cable tv and Vanity Vair in the 1920's? Can't remember.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471357529/002-4925312-1867246?v=glance

#13     Dec 18, 2003
  4. Do you expect any administration to bash themselves?

If the people and/or media don't constantly remind the administration that the power the administration has been granted is intended to serve the people, not server the need for power by politicians, who will?

#14     Dec 18, 2003
  5. Maverick74

Maverick74

F*ck me, is there any way you cannot turn every freaking thread into a thread about Bush or politics? I believe this thread was about success. Let's stay on topic here before all of ART's followers come in and hijack this thread and ask for the millionth time, was the war in Iraq justified.

#15     Dec 18, 2003

6. I'm not sure I agree it is a "futile" quest. Maybe if the quest was for (ever) more material possessions.

And I think the advertising and entertainment industries are more guilty of perpetuating the idea that owning x or y is the last word in success, or that Mr x or Miss y is "successful", than "the media".

Could even be that infamous 'capitalist', Ghengis Khan's, fault. Yeah, probably.

#16     Dec 18, 2003
  7. Cutten

Cutten

I think success is enjoying what you do, and appreciating what you have got, whilst still enjoying the process of striving to progress to a higher level in the various aspects of your life that are important to you.

#17     Dec 18, 2003
  8. bobcathy1

bobcathy1 Guest

The ideas of being a success change as you age Aphie.
    In my 20's I always wanted to be a hot babe.
    In my 30's I wanted to be happy and well off.
    In my 40's I just wanted to enjoy being alive.

Now that I will be 50.....I am totally freaked out.

I am not sure what successful is.
    Is it being healthy?
    Is it being rich?
    Is it being happy?
    Is it being young?

:confused:

Right now, I would define success by doing what I do and doing it well. I am learning a new job (trading)....I am taking care of health problems as they come up.....I have found the happiness of just being alive which eluded me in my youth. I look in the mirror and will never be young again....and that is the price for my success.....old age?:)

#18     Dec 18, 2003
  9. maxpi

maxpi

Basically I am not very materialistic and I don't value academic stuff much at all but I enjoy seeing my daughter doing well, she wants to get a PhD and teach history.

I've succeeded at Zen archery, no aiming, just become one with (something? the universe? subtle energy?, smoking a joint helps) and let the arrows fly to the target. 5 arrows out of 5 in a 2 yard circle hundreds of feet away, no aiming, did it, does your heart good to have energy flowing like that with all the troubles of the world just shut out for awhile.

:)

#19     Dec 18, 2003
  10. Dead end jobers along with the pikers will love that line along with the "having a family is my success" line too...albeit the world needs ditch diggers too.

#20     Dec 18, 2003