What is so offensive about Megyn Kelly's blackface comments?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by learner88, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Her NBC career is finished. The blackface comment is basically stating a fact about the face colour of black people.

I am not an American. I am trying to understand American sensitivities here. No ill intent meant.

2. or someone who knows what Google is....

constitutionman likes this.
  3. Tony Stark

Tony Stark

It's not offensive to republicans.Republicans don't find keeping black people as slaves offensive eithier though.

4. kandlekid

kandlekid

Unfortunately, it's indicative of the fragmented climate of our country today. A rational and civil conversation about some topics is nearly impossible. Someone makes an unintentional possibly racist comment about their childhood. Unforgivable. Are we not adults? Can't we talk about it ? Maybe it would have been beneficial to ask, what did you mean by that ? Anyway, fire first, ask questions later.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  5. UsualName

UsualName

No. First, one would have to either be totally ignorant of American history or simply not care care enough to understand blackface is incredibly offensive to black people, whom were enslaved and oppressed for hundreds of years. Not to mention those kind of comments makes it all the more difficult to move beyond the past.

What happened to black people in America has no equivalency to any other race of people in this country, with the exception of native Americans.

The institutional disparities black people suffered and have suffered will take multiple generations to bring into parity with what the average American enjoys.

This is another issue where people dismiss the way life is in America because they are disconnected from other people’s suffering.

So, yes, a small bit of common sense and basic understanding says Megyn Kelly absolutely deserved to be fired.

Tony Stark likes this.

6. If only we had ever had an african-american president, so much progress would have been made for black people. OR NOT.

7. She is a journalist/reporter/show lead with a staff supporting her to do research and remind her of facts... she was not sprung a blackface question out of the blue and made an excited utterance.

She did not say "When we were kids we were ignorant about what that meant and thought it was ok, we learned it was not" That is not racist, it is admitting what she thought at the time while understanding it was ignorant or naive.

No she made a statement about it being OK/acceptable when she was a kid and now it is not. That is just plain stupid and shows she does not have the acument/smarts/brains to be in that position. Moreoever, she REALLY believed it was acceptable and her apology was a "Oh crap I offended people....I better apologize if I offended you but do not admit that I was completely wrong on this one.."

FOX, CNN...i don't care which bias you have, this was stupidity that in 2018 should not happen anymore and you are gone. Maybe the next person will think even half a second before speaking...

8. wildchild

wildchild

Everything is offensive to snowflakes like you.

smallfil likes this.
  9. wildchild

wildchild

Everything is offensive to these people. There was a college kid who ate a banana and threw the banana peel when he was done and it was claimed to be racist. I shit you not.

Poindexter and smallfil like this.
  10. LS1Z28

LS1Z28

People are offended by way too many things in this world. But I agree with the concept that you shouldn't use dark makeup for a costume because it's been a show of blatant racism in the past. I don't agree with Megyn Kelly's comments. I was surprised that she was fired after she apologized. That decision may have come down more to low ratings than what she said.

What really upsets me is the people that are offended by white kids dressing up as the black panther. That's absolutely ridiculous. Parents should teach there kids to judge people by who they are and not by the color of their skin. Having kids from all races dress up as the black panther is a reflection of that.

#10     Oct 27, 2018
    Optionpro007 and smallfil like this.