What is scalping?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by padutrader, May 11, 2018.

1. So that's your argument .. you can't walk away from an automation, but it's probably okay to walk away from a position.

#31     May 12, 2018
  2. themickey

themickey

Yep, we are in the world to live.
    Walking away from a position is what I always do, have numerous positions on while in the city drinking, eating, sleeping, travelling...

#32     May 12, 2018
  3. Me too.

You think scalpers don't hold positions ?

#33     May 12, 2018
  4. volpri

volpri

Excellent!:thumbsup::fistbump:

#34     May 12, 2018
  5. themickey

themickey

Well getting back on track, OP (after 24 years of attempting trading) is asking a very basic question regarding scalping.
    Scalping is being a hamster locked in a cage running in circles spinning a slot machine wheel.
    Time (rate per hr) being inproportional to dollars earned.

#35     May 12, 2018
  6. volpri

volpri

Yeah but thou beest an investor whilst others are traders. Nevetheless, i can place a trade with bracket orders for SL and PT and i can mosey to DQ for an ice cream cone as I await for the ATM trading machine to spit me out a profit OR a loss. But since I focus on High win rate trades, a very neccesary metric in my w.v. (to the chagrin of others), guess what I most likely will have when I get back? Thats right!

#36     May 12, 2018
    themickey likes this.
  7. volpri

volpri

Slot machine ONLY if thou knowest not what thou doest. Money generator if thou doest know! Many spins of the cage much moola. And very fast..no waiting weeks and months.

#37     May 12, 2018
    themickey likes this.
  8. themickey

themickey

....icecream cone......rrrriiiiiight......

...enough change for another icecream cone......?

LOL, having a tease.

#38     May 12, 2018
  9. volpri

volpri

LOL jingle..jingle

#39     May 12, 2018
    themickey likes this.
  10. Handle123

Handle123

Actually, in all the trading that I do, scalping and day trading has by far the greatest risk and percentage wise, biggest percentage returns, I do use distant options that are kept on in case of Black Swan, and just a matter of time of another 911, people always say History doesn't repeat, but it does in forms of other people, whether it is religion or acquiring land, people just don't get along. Of all the trading I do, it is the extremes of long term commodities and finding the tops/bottoms, which often takes a dozen and more times, but hedging saves me from most of the losses, but one of last feelings I did well and happy to get them.

Absolutely, long term trading has the most wealthy people in this group, I prefer to do long term than scalping/day trading any day of the week. But unless you know how to dance options around your stocks/commodities to generate enough to cover ongoing losses due to price cycles coming too early/late to hedge open profits on stocks/commodities when there are retracements of the ongoing trend, very difficult to make anything on a monthly basis. My commodity long term system has profitable trades 7-15% on average every year and I am more than alright with this cause of the hedges. But the add-ons have more of a 50/50% and they hedged as well. Stocks, all is hedged and ave 40% profitable trades. Some years battling to stay above zero percent is the norm, so like 1 in 3 years of normal patterns long term have big years and other 2 much less. At least for how I trade.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    #40     May 13, 2018
    birdman, beginner66 and CSEtrader like this.