What is NLP?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Gordon Gekko, Oct 16, 2003.

1. For the record, directed towrd those that care, most of this post is flat out inaccurate and contains a level of political spin that any Democrati or Republican running for national office would be proud of. Nononsense, if you decide to respond, don't expect a reply, I now have you set on ignore. I have no respect for someone who insists that tearing down the truth is the path to personal glory and/or a means buoy up ones own self doubts and feed your own need for certainty.

#51     Oct 17, 2003
  2. You better cover all your SHORTS, you are starting to sound angry! :eek:

BTW, the people here for the most part like myself are talking about reading some books. We are not talking about joining a cult. NLP is not any great special key to unlock the mysteries of our life, no just a set of ideas that if exercised may help a person remove some limiting beliefs (nothing to get to excited about). At any point in any second of a persons life they without reading any books whatsoever could decide at that moment to change their life for the better. We all already have the power within us to accomplish great things, with no other catalyst then a thought. The sudden and immediate decision to take action to change our lives for the better can be done without the motivations of NLP. We here in this thread have given ideas, as friends to one another, as to things that could benefit the achievement of each others goals. I as many, type information here in good faith to assist all that read, as a gesture of kindness and goodwill. I am not here to type out my thoughts or ideas for all in some egotistical tirade. My point is that reading a Tony Robbins book "may" assist you in making positive changes in your life, and in the end it will always be the individual who reigns all command over their actions. Now if you want to read something that can REALLY change your life...go read the BIBLE! :)

Chris

#52     Oct 17, 2003
  3. nkhoi

nkhoi

remember the black out that nobody know what caused it! I read somewhere that it was caused by massive amount of energy used to conduct a Tesla experiment (i.e. make a ship disppear).

#53     Oct 17, 2003
  4. Mvic

Mvic

someone who knows far more about this stuff than I (bm for example, amongst others who have posted) but the concern that I have with using only TR or NLP is that it just gets at the "how" and not the "why".

TR and NLP seem to be techniques that are an effective answer to the "how to change" question. But I don't think that they offer much help when it comes to "why to make a change".

Without examining the "why" I think any change is by definition superficial (though that does not mean it will not nevertheless be beneficial). For example, setting one's goal as "making a million dollars". That is all well and good and NLP and TR can certainly help get you there but I think you make the whole process that much easier if you also sit down and ask yourself why you want to achieve a specific goal or change in your life. And I am not talking about "I want a million dollars so I can buy that Ferrari I have had my eye on" mode of thinking , but rather questioning why you feel you need the Ferrari in the first place and asking yourself if the opportunity cost is worth it.

Questions like the above will eventually lead you to examine the philosophy by which you live your life. Once you have a good idea of what that philosophy is and know why you wish to adhere to it then you can start making goals and putting them in to action using the variety of tools out there, be it TR, NLP, or something else. Certainly there will be a lot of personal growth involved and the results, I think, will be more likely to stick and be easier to implement amongst other benefits.

A trading analogy would be spending the time to find your edge(reasons why you want to live your life a certain way) and then using tools (NLP, TR, etc) to trade that edge. Of course one can skip finding one's edge by simply following a newsletter or someone like LBR and just use the tools and still have results but I think that it is obvious that this is not a long term nor ideal solution for many reasons.

For the some of the people I would look to would be Jesus, Ghandi, MLK, St Francis, Schweitzer, Hegel, etc . For the how NLP, TR, REBT, etc

Obviously everything is an evolution and all things have their time and place. If I was a smoker and needed to quit right away I would get on a program immediately and then simultaneously start the process of change from within. I wouldn't wait until I had everything figured out first because by the time I had it all figured out (lol) I would be long dead. Point being that immediate and consistent action and is necessary along with serious work on one's philosophy. That philosophy will then fuel and drive future action. It is a life long process, a discovery of one's self and one's potential.

TR does offer that quick start through his programs and he certainly is inspirational for people who are in a place in their lives where their pain makes philosophizing difficult, if not pointless. Along with TR I would recommend a small and simple book called "three minute therapy" for someone who just needs immediate relief and change.

Thanks for all the great posts on this thread, I have learnt a lot and ET clearly has more than a few posters with a passion for life. Good post Chris.

#54     Oct 17, 2003
  5. Mvic,

I was just leaving and saw your post. Let me briefly respond now, and sometime over the weekend try and say a bit more.

The real answer to your question is the why doesn't matter. It has to do with content versus process. The question you're asking (assuming I got it right, I just read your first couple of sentences) is the root of why too many people go through life attached to all their baggage.

There is a time and place for all questions. Why is only important when motivating yourself to an outcome, result or purpose. How is important in irradicating unuseful behaviour. For example, it doesn't matter a dimes worth why you're angry, it's how you create anger that's important. When you recognize and understand your personal strategy for creating emotion, you now control it, not the other way around. This is getting at the crux of NLP, it's about putting structure to subjective matter. It's about understanding how your brain creates the representations of reality (that's the best you can do, it's impossible to experience reality directly, it's filtered through senses and past refrences) that end up leading to your behaviours. Change the rep's, and you change the behaviours.

Bye for now,

#55     Oct 17, 2003
  6. Bundlemaker,

You fail to point out where my post is inaccurate. In fact it is very precise and accurate. No political spin whatsoever, only historical fact, whether it pleases you or not. Don't mention truth before you know what you are talking about. My post was a factual reply debunking cheap misuse of some great names.

As to your including my lines about Kurt Gödel. You clearly know nothing about Gödel whom I corectly describe as one of the two greatest guests IAS ever had. If you want to know more you can read: "Who Got Einstein's Office?: Eccentricity and Genius at the Institute for Advanced Study" by Edward Regis.

nononsense

#56     Oct 17, 2003
  7. I also read somewhere they subsequently tried to apply NLP to make it visible again.:D

nononsense

#57     Oct 17, 2003
  8. Hey Chris,

I must totaly agree with what you say. I don't care if lots of people read NLP books. I do care though if names like Einstein, etc. are being misused by people trying to push ideas unrelated to the fields of excellence of these great people.

Imaging the howling that would follow if the same list of names would appear in order to make people read the BIBLE as you suggest! :)

Be good,

nononsense

#58     Oct 17, 2003
  9. Kermit

Kermit

Mvic:

What I got out of TR’s work is that I think TR actually delves into the “why” issue by saying that it’s what it [behavior/things] will give you in terms of the feelings and states of mind that you desire. So, the reason why “I want a million dollars” is so that “I can buy that Ferrari I have had my eye on” is just the first level. But why you feel you need the Ferrari in the first place boils ultimately down to because of the feelings you think you’ll get or the state of mind you’ll be in that having that vehicle can give you (freedom, fun, rush…etc). He asks of you the questions of the underlying “why” all the way down to the level of the nervous system – emotions. Once you are able to discern what they are then the “how” techniques are applied to affect everlasting changes in behavior.

Kermit

#59     Oct 17, 2003

10. LOL ! the old "philadelphia experiment" hoax is alive and well, i see. i agree with you nononsense regarding the great names mentioned, however, NLP is a viable technique for harnessing your own mind.

best,

surfer

#60     Oct 17, 2003