What is NLP?

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Gordon Gekko, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Mvic

Mvic

#11     Oct 16, 2003
  2. Mvic,

Interesting links, I didn't know anyone was doing REBT anymore. Just for the record, this isn't NLP, although Bandler has studied virutally every known form of therapy. The purpose was to find the common points where the therapies produced the results desired. Many things were learned, not the least interesting was that change (whatever that might be) occurs very rapidly, not slowly over time. Turns out the brain does much better with controlled overloading, than slow gently learning.

#12     Oct 16, 2003
  3. bm - do you have an opinion on the work from Tony Robbins? (this is a serious question, btw - I have had many people tell me they benefitted greatly, and others tell me he is not worth the time).

Thanks

#13     Oct 16, 2003

4. tony robbins purchased a franchise from richard bandler( founder of NLP) . his work is most excellent in popularizing NLP. NLP works and is very real when applied correctly. tony robbins is worth listening to, however, be aware that his teachings are watered down heavily to be accepted by the masses.

best,

surfer:)

#14     Oct 16, 2003
  5. Snoop,

This is a great question I"m fighting with now, myself. Do I invest in additional training or not? Some times I've spent money on a, oh say, seminar, and it truly sucked. But you know what, I always take something away that's profoundly useful. I gave Mark Cook $3,500 earlier this year to find out that he basically can't trade. That hurt.

On the other hand, some experiences almost cannot be put into words. I have invested A LOT with Tony. I have spent over $10,000. Some people call me crazy. What about people of spend $50.000 on an mba and flip hamburgers? I honestly believe the people who "complain" about Tony either have never even read his book (like a previous poster who suggested that Tony is new age) or simply is not ready to change.

A foundational principal of change is a 3 step process, IMHO, a virtual absolute. Step 1, interupt your current "pattern". Step 2, get leverage on yourself to change, in other words, convince yourself thast change is necessary. Step 3, install a new and useful belief in place of what used to be there. The complainers never "interupt" themselves. In other words they are stuck in a certain mental geography. Often times (most times?) they are convinced, and will argue to the death, that the problem is all outside themselves and beyond theire independant control. You need to get beyond that. It's all about process, not content. Tony, Bandler, and others that are true greats at this, understand that the "what" is irrelevant, it's the "why" and the "how" that creates change. That gives you the power.

To answer your question flat out, without hyperbole, let me make this offer publically: Go to Uleash the Power Within. That's the seminar where you WILL walk across 15' or so of red hot coals. You will do this approximately 6 hours into the seminar. The whole weekend is only about $500. If you go, and come back to this forum, and have even a single negative thing to say about it, I"ll cut you a check for the cost of the seminar. This offer is specifically for you, I'm trying to make a point, for you. I think you get my impressions of Tony. Now, I don't think Tony is some kind of infallible super hero, I've acutally had a frustrating experience with his company and been "mad " at him. But, I still think he is the most effective teacher on the face of the planet.

#15     Oct 16, 2003
  6. Mvic

Mvic

having tried both Tony Robbins when he first came out with his personal power thing years ago and then moved on to REBT my own view is that TR's method, while it has some merits is a little too simplistic. I feel that REBT goes far deeper than TR and gets at the faulty mindset that allows the unwanted behaviour. While I haven't tried this I supppose that some of TR techniques/tools could be used to reinforce work done in REBT. My own preference has been REBT coupled with hypnosis techniques developed by Dr. Milton Erikson. To my mind a very powerful combination.

http://www.erickson-foundation.org/

bm, I will say this about TR, I have always thought highly of the guy and found his tapes/CD's to be inspirational as well as instructive. Its just that if some one came to me today asking me how they could most effectively change unwanted behaviour I would recommend REBT coupled with Erikson's techniques.

#16     Oct 16, 2003
  7. #17     Oct 16, 2003
  8. Thank you bm for taking the time to answer. I appreciate your thoughts.

Also - thanks ms and others.

Peace.

#18     Oct 16, 2003
  9. Thanks for a cogent and rational explanation. I'm going to look into how this might help me. All the best...

Bundle

#19     Oct 16, 2003
  10. I highly recommend Anthony Robbins. In particular the CD versions of Personal Power and Awaken the Giant within. They helped me understand limitations in how I approached problems and have helped me immensely. I once read the Giant book, but found it much too detailed with lots of "irrelevant" background material. Listening to AR is inspiring in itself.

FWIW, i don't find the more recent AR nearly as good (much rehash). The two old CDs are simply excellent.

#20     Oct 16, 2003