What is needed to start a small trading room?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by tt1452, Jun 15, 2003.

1. How is going to make it to the door first????????
    When you get to the party late, dance right next to the door.

#21     Jun 19, 2003
  2. Well, I am a pig .......and one of those midgets chased me right off the dance floor....I will never joke about them again.

As far as the hunt.......I would never shoot a midget.

Take it from me.....

Michael B.

#22     Jun 19, 2003
  3. "What is needed to start a small trading room? "

Cash, lots of cash...

#23     Jun 19, 2003
  4. Don't forget....you also need the traders.

#24     Jun 19, 2003
  5. That's the hardest part.

You need good consistently profitable traders who are smart enough to trade well, but dumb enough to let someone else (trading room operator) have a big portion of the profits.

#25     Jun 20, 2003
  6. chessman

chessman Guest

I lived in Center City Philadelphia for about four years, unfortunately there aren't any trading rooms that I could find. The nearest office was in Conchahacin(sp) or Brigths office in Mt. Laurel, NJ.

I think if you're able to setup an office in Philadelphia, you may get quite a few traders, some of them even from Philly stock exchange. Like most urban cities, Philadelphia has been hit hard by 9/11, rents should be quite reasonable.

#26     Jun 20, 2003

7. There is tons of office space left by tradingfirms that went under...probably the best thing to do is to do a search of some of the firms that went belly up and see if they took out space in your area...that includes groups that perhaps didn;t go belly up but were bought out, like Momentum, Tradecast, ext, alltech ect...

#27     Jun 20, 2003
  8. you'll also need a strong deal with a clearing company.

The deal has to make sense and make money.

#28     Jun 20, 2003
  9. I cannot believe how cheap some offices rent for in my area. My partners and I are serioulsy looking to start an office in the East-bay area of NorCal, or nearer to where I live in Montery/Santa Cruz county.

As spreadum mentioned I already have the arrangment with the clearing firm already set up and I feel the key is just identifying the "right" type of professional traders to share in the office.

I'm not even sure the demand is their. I think someone else mentioned that just finding other traders that are compatible and your comfortable trading with and to share in the cost, is difficult enough

rttrader

#29     Jun 21, 2003
  10. You'll need traders with money ... serious money. I'd say 50K and up.

#30     Jun 24, 2003