What is happening with BRLC ?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by wiesman02, Feb 1, 2007.

1. I'm all in (shorting) at 9.49

#11     Feb 7, 2007
  2. topdown

topdown

Wiesman - I'd be real careful shorting this before earnings report tomorrow a.m. (Or at least cover on the fade today) - It could tank, but it also could explode!

Even if the numbers aren't great, it wouldn't surprise me to see an announcement of additional retailers in their earnings call.

#12     Feb 7, 2007
  3. No worries m8. Just covered at 9.33 for a nice $310 gain.

I didn't mean shorting a swing trade. This stock is a daytrade. Too unpredictable until you've got about 2 hrs of price action under your belt to trade it. Then, its an obvious trade (IMO).

I know earnings are tomorrow, and frankily, I haven't a clue what to expect. I'll wait as well.

#13     Feb 7, 2007
  4. topdown

topdown

I think BRLC has turned into a good swing trade. It took a bit of a dive after earnings on a conservative outlook, but that might have given us an opportunity for a good entry point.

Chart looks good, fundamentals look great, possible short squeeze (if most haven't covered already). Good recent press:

From Forbes:

The M100 was also jumping into shares of Syntax-Brillian (nasdaq: BRLC - news - people ). The Tempe, Ariz.-based high-definition television maker jumped 26% higher last week on optimism that it will report respectable numbers Feb. 8. Short-sellers had piled into Syntax-Brillian, accounting for 42.6% of the float as of Jan. 9.

The stock has been on a tear for more than seven months, rocketing from $2.20 per share in July to an intraday high of $11.66 on Jan. 8. After trading around $8 for two weeks, the stock vaulted to just shy of $10 and now trades near $9.35. Based on the 52.5% analysts see as the company's five-year annualized growth potential, the stock appears remarkably cheap, trading at 15.8 times expected 2007 earnings, with a price-to-earnings-growth (PEG) ratio of 0.55.

Today's NY Times Article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/12/technology/12olevia.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2

I have traded this stock (both long and short) several times in the past several months. At this point I am long and am looking for it to hit $10+, possibly this week.

#14     Feb 12, 2007
  5. topdown

topdown

#15     Feb 12, 2007
  6. S2007S

S2007S

hes on right now saying prices should come down another 20%.

#16     Feb 12, 2007
  7. didn't the article say 40 percent?

Remember too, this is a SHO list stock,a nd if they lose control of it and the margin calls kick in, it's a big number. Seems like the guy has a well thought out plan.

#17     Feb 12, 2007
  8. Hey everyone when is earnings wed morn?

Is this idea played out? I did trade this once this year but it seems to be everyone's favorite stock.

Topdown- (I ended up buying an Olevia 542I). That's a plasma? What made you decide between LCD and Plasma? Is the image squishy elongated? Do the station logos burn in at the corners? Does the set run hot? Can you get a good image from looking up at the screen or do you have to be eye level? How is the sound (very important to me) Did they make you buy a receiver or is it all built into the set?

I tried to ask these questions at an AV store and they asked me to leave! Thanks. ~ stoney

#18     Feb 13, 2007
  9. topdown

topdown

Stoney - Olevia only makes LCD's and they have been given very good ratings. They have an excellent picture, and cost several hundred dollars less than comparable models from the "big" names (Sony, Sammy, etc.)

Recently given a "Best Buy" rating from Consumer Reports. Blurb:

"This TV had very good HD picture quality and was good for DVD and very good for standard-definition content. There was some edge enhancement and inaccurate flesh tones, but these minor issues didn't detract much from the picture quality. The remote control is excellent and easy to use in low lighting. The viewing angle is fairly wide. But the on-screen display menu is difficult to navigate. Black levels could have been a little deeper."

Plasma vs. LCD - I decided to go LCD mainly because (as I understand it) the industry is largely going that route. I believe Sony has phased out Plasma completely and is going solely LCD with their TV's. The Plasma's use much more power, run hotter and at one time at least there was a concern about screen burn-in. That may have been resolved buy some manufacturers, but I sure don't want a shadow of the CNBC ticker burnt into the bottom of my screen.
    At one point it was a price point / screen size issue. Plasmas gave the most bang for the buck on larger screens, but now LCDs are available in larger sizes at similar prices.

Sound - Not a highlight with the factory speakers, but another plus for the Olevia is that the speakers are removable. Just toss them and use your home theater system.

There is a receiver in the 542I, not sure about other models. You really only need it to receive Over The Air signals. If you have HD Cable or Satellite, it isn't necessary.

Anyway - I am still holding the stock. Opened strong today, but couldn't get any momentum. I still think it'll see $10
    soon.

#19     Feb 13, 2007
  10. Got in again today at 8.248, 1000 shares. Probably shoulda sold at 8.8, but I have a feeling it'll hit 9+ in a few days. If it hits 8.5, I'm out, and I think the rally was short lived. But I think we have a correction in the uptrend so she should be up and running again soon.

#20     Feb 22, 2007