What is happening to men?

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by nitro, Apr 3, 2009.

1. LOL, that's pretty much what it comes down to eventually, he? :p

Hope all is well with the kids, to my understanding you're off the hook once they get out of school ... and if you're encourntering employment problems, you could probably look for a write-down in your monthly vaginamony payments. :)

#51     Apr 5, 2009
  2. Specterx

Specterx

Pretty sure that this is bunk... IIRC they've done studies where they took boys, put them in a "girl's environment" and gave them the choice of playing with dolls or trucks. Boys always choose the truck.

I think being raised by single mothers/not having good male role models does cause some problems. Maybe the kid won't learn to throw a baseball properly and he won't have a good innate sense of what it means to be a real man or a responsible provider for a family. But he won't grow up to be a "whimp."

#52     Apr 5, 2009
  3. "Pretty sure that this is bunk... IIRC they've done studies where they took boys, put them in a "girl's environment" and gave them the choice of playing with dolls or trucks. Boys always choose the truck."

[​IMG]

#53     Apr 5, 2009
  4. Specterx

Specterx

Well, check out the admissions rates for top U.S. universities - or even middle-of-the-road ones. You're going to tell me that there isn't competition?

#54     Apr 5, 2009
  5. Specterx

Specterx

Mine's bigger than yours:

[​IMG]

#55     Apr 5, 2009
  6. piezoe

piezoe

This turned out to be a damned interesting thread (though it has nothing to do with Wall Street, or does it have everything to do with Wall Street?) . A lot of latent thought coming forth. And what is it with the way we do schools nowadays? I mean all students regardless of innate ability in the same class room. Should we reconsider tracking as was done in pre-Lyndon Johnson days?

#56     Apr 5, 2009
it has to do with insourcing and outsourcing 

maybe buy AAPL stock instead? 100K invested can turn into 200 K by the end of the year

#57     Apr 5, 2009
  8. nitro

nitro

Something to keep you busy until I find the original reference:

http://pinker.wjh.harvard.edu/articles/papers/nature_nurture.pdf

#58     Apr 5, 2009
  9. Neodude

Neodude

I don't think PINK makes you more or less male either, but popularity of pink amongst men (maybe metrosexual men?) might be proof that fashion is becoming a bigger influence in the male social sphere. Usually being fashion conscious is a trait associated with the fairer sex... but I'm not a research scientist so take whatever I say as an untested assumption until proven by your own experience.

I also think that pink has a psychological effect on men. I have absolutely no scientific evidence to back this up, but I bet that when men think pink, the first thing that comes into their mind is "vagina". What would be interesting is to run an experiment with two groups of men. One group in pink cloths and the other in more traditional masculine colors. I have a hunch that the men forced to wear pink will be more submissive then those in male colors.

-Neo

#59     Apr 5, 2009
  10. Nattdog

Nattdog

a few points

1. men's work tends to have more optionality and is more sensitive to the business cycle.

2. women's work is usually beaurocratic in nature and is in some way mandated by state regulation. as such, it is less sensitive to the business cycle.

3. The modern university's culture is hostile to white males and male values in general. Men, from orientation on forward, are in not so subtle ways made to feel unwelcome and unsatisfied in feminized institutions.

3. The modern corporation is very anti-white male. The quotas on advancement against young men are real. The sexist/racist policy of offering special mentoring and educational opportunities for everyone but white males can't help but have an impact.

4. One thing I have realized is that most smart, motivated males enjoy a certain enviroment that women do not enjoy. The sexes are different. by "banning" male behavior, the corporation has become a feminized enviroment that men find unconfortable and repulsive.

Men, and in particular white men, need to wake the f*ck up. The manipulators in the media and in our culture profit from the power vacume that emerges as our standing in society plummets. Hordes of sheeplike women in higher places will not be able to defend our freedoms. These manipulators will profit all the way down untill our feminized, pathetic society destroys itself or is taken over by a culture with dominant male values.

#60     Apr 5, 2009