what is going on with QQQ, QLD, and Nasdaq today?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by 1a2b3cppp, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Nasdaq is up 0.24%

QQQ is up 2.12%

QLD is up 0.41% today?

The rest of the ETFs are as they should be.

Dow is up 0.41%
    DIA is up 0.40
    DDM is up 0.77%

Those three make sense.

Why is QQQ disproportionally high today?

I'm not complaining, I'm long QQQ, I'm just curious.

2. 1) Was it a "bad" print, i.e. 2.12 versus 0.212, that you were seeing? :confused:
    2) There can be quirks in the indices where a major component stock, i.e. AAPL, influences one index slightly more than another index. :cool:

3. 1) I don't think so
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=qqq

2) I thought QQQ followed the nasdaq. I understand little variances here and there, but I'm talking like a few percent difference, not a factor of 10 like here.

4. From Twitter:

QQQ Closing Price Change was +0.25% Today, Friday, March 25, 2011, not +2.02% http://t.co/4BpGwce

5. 1a2b3cppp,

I don't know the reason exactly as I haven't looked at it in detail yet, but I think QQQ follows 100 Nasdaq stocks - and AAPL is a large, large weighing on it. AAPL was up pretty good today. I am guessing alot of the main components of QQQ were good today and there must have been some nasdaq stocks out of the top 100 that didn't fare so well.

It is odd that for example QLD was so bad, but maybe that follows a larger range of stocks and/or maybe it had futures or options that it uses for leverage expire on them today.

JJacksET4

6. Oops,

looks like maybe it is just a Yahoo mistake.

Their historical prices shows yesterdays close at 56.70 and todays at 56.84, so not up $1.13 like it shows - just 14 cents.

JJacksET4

7. luisHK

luisHK

Yep, yahoo mistake, closing price is right but the percentage difference from yesterday totally wrong. AH it's 56.95 and +0.44% only from yesterday's close

8. Yesterday's close was 55.71 according to Yahoo Finance.
    Today's close was 56.84

That's 2.02%.

That's where the issue was I think.