What is easier to trade? Stks or Futs?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by protrader-2K5, Jul 10, 2005.

1. I laid out my views on the Holy Grail in the link...

#21     Jul 10, 2005
  2. I also trade futures due to the leverage, quick feed back, and near constant liquidity.
    I trade intraday, swing & position and since I started with the futures I totaly gave up stocks. Mr doctor said my stress level has all but disappeared.
    It could have been the sexy brunette or the new pool I guess too. :D :D :D

#22     Jul 10, 2005
  3. I'll take the sexy brunette, send her my way...

#23     Jul 13, 2005
  4. Because of the fact that stock commissions are very low...and that you can easily obtain 10:1 leverage....There are several inviting stocks that to me are more comfortable to trade than futures......

I have traded OEX..SPX options credit spreads in size...and have traded S&P 500 futures...

Because of the leverage...low commissions...excellent direct access technology...I feel that my profitability is more reliable with stocks...I feel more conservative for some reason...

#24     Jul 13, 2005
  5. Nobody has yet mentioned the fact that futures are far more tax efficient.

#25     Jul 13, 2005
  6. trendo

trendo

Isn't the taxation the same if held for less than a year?

#26     Jul 13, 2005
  7. I response to the original post, if i was in your position I would start slowly diversifying away from futures. You have enough money that you need to have some good sources of yield on your excess trading capital. I would look at selling cash covered puts on MO (Altria or whatever Philip Morris is called now). MO puts have the dividend built into the price so the premiums are a little bit dear. So either you have a stock with a 6% yield or the put expires worthless. Nothing spectacular but a low risk way to get yield.

#27     Jul 13, 2005
  8. No, taxes are way lower on futures profits, regardless of time frame.

EDIT: Not sure if the tax advantage really applies to people in low tax brackets.

#28     Jul 13, 2005