What is easier to trade? Stks or Futs?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by protrader-2K5, Jul 10, 2005.

1. I wanted to get a feel for what type of trading is done and why.

I have personally traded idex futures since 97 and have made money since 99 on.

I read a thread earlier where some people stated that they traded futures and it was a trial by fire as now the stocks that they trade is like a cakewalk.

Now I am not a rich man but I consistently pull out 150K+ after taxes... my question is this easier to do with stocks?

Also you must know that I do not have a great system but I DO have an extremely well match money management system that allows me to make my profits.

Thanks for replys

2. If it works don't fix it.

Try both...but merge into equities lightly if you must and if you have the time.

Funny, most people post what they think sounds good...like if you can't trade equities then why trade futures?...

Well, my hat is off to this thread author..he proves my point.

Don't post what sounds good, but post what YOU have discovered to be true.

Michael B.

3. Michael,
    I would not consider for once moving over to equities, too much individual research.

However at the same time why do some think stocks are easier to trade than futures or vice versa.

As for the second part of your post, I don't understand what that means.

please clarify thanks

4. Never mind Michael

I understand your point.

I trade futures due to the leverage, quick feed back, and near constant liquidity.

Is trading stocks easier than this and why?

5. protrader-2K5,

Leverage compounds the velocity of the movement in the Equity Curve. I think that is the reasoning of some to learn equities first.

As far as my cryptic comment, excuse me..

It's just that I read and contribute here greatly. I have vowed to myself only to post what I know and not echo what sounds good. I have noticed many posters do not find out for themselves.

So the fact that you traded Futures first and are profitable, proves the consensus of beliefs that a trader should learn equities first, Wrong in YOUR case.

Michael B.

6. Do you daytrade? Whats your style of trading?

7. ehsmama

ehsmama

There is one reason to trade stocks - The vast choice you get. If you are a trendfollower, you can always find a few stocks that are trending well. But if you are making money in futures why bother..

8. ozzy

ozzy

If you can make it trading futures I think its the way to go. Equities trading is a different game in my opinion.

With that being said, if I "made it" in this game. For example if I had over 5 Million in captial than I would trade multiple products/ strategies (Futures, Stocks, Options and Currencies).

2cents
    ozzy

9. ozzy,

I have read your posts in ET. I for one am hoping for your success.

Your honest posts are always appreciated and good luck with your move..

Please excuse my intrusion, thread author.

Michael B.

10. TrendFader,

this took some time to figure out as I like quick feedback from a trade, within a half hour if possible. But I can't trade 20 times a day either.

So my solution, 2 methods. 1 trades 150 minute chart, good for 3 bars a day and will hold overnight. This is a trend based

The other trades based off a 60 minute but the logic is based off of my personal theory that if there is a certain level of trading activity prior to the open, it is a good sign of things to come through the day. Option expiration days and fed speak days are out.

I look to make a medium play 3 to 5 points with tight risk. And I exit at the end of the day, no if, ands, or buts about it.

This helps me deal with my own trading demons! But regardless of what my style is... its the money management that keeps me in business.

Atleast that is what I know.

#10     Jul 10, 2005