What is conciousness?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Oct 6, 2007.

1. So water could be the first quantum currency... really nice!

#21     Jan 31, 2011
  2. I get what your'e driving at here but I save that kind of cynicism for televangelists. At least scientists chase and correct direction based on "tried and true" premises. But whats the use right, since your'e never going to get to the bottom of anything ...? I thinkwhat religion does is a sort of self flagellation of pursuing truth if all it has to base anything on is faith. Agnosticism is not a stand in for the parabels and miracles alleged in conventional religions. Christians own Noah and all the rest of the mythological bagage.
    Chasing Truth might be a waste of time relatively, but compared to what? Once you've had money and pussy whats left? Go for a swim?

#22     Jan 31, 2011
  3. nitro

nitro

Normally I don't comment on these sorts of things, but if I may recommend a book to you:

Surprised by Joy: The Shape of My Early Life [Hardcover]
    C.S. Lewis (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Surprised-Joy...1855/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296486553&sr=8-1

It is an extremely honest book, and it will give you a huge amount of perspective. Go to Borders, set aside a couple of hours, and see if you can get into it.

I suspect you are very young (if you are not, I just stuck my foot in my mouth). Try to keep an open mind. As you gain experience...

#23     Jan 31, 2011
  4. Thats funny. Being prescribed perspective. What, in what I wrote
    gives you the impression that I'm needy that way? I'll put my perspective on "things" up against anyones, including yours.
    Just occured to me. CS Lewis of Screwtape letters fame? Talk about perspective challenged.

#24     Jan 31, 2011
  5. nitro

nitro

Things don't come accross the way one wants them, and I am juggling too many things at once at this moment. My fault for not being clear. I hope that people that know me know that I don't say things out of malice, but out of genuine desire to give.

I only meant that your view seems to be based on reason and denies the wisdom in human experience, even religious experience. I was there once too, and to a certain extent I agree with you far more than you may know. The difference is that I understand far more than I used to, and you sound a lot like I did about 20 years ago. That is not my ego talking, it is, just give the book a try!

#25     Jan 31, 2011
  6. Wisdom for show and power doesn't impress me. You do jump into presumptions of a persons experience and values readily.
    You've gathered a few kudos here and cultivated a lite reputation
    which is useless if you don't get to cash it in once in awhile. Appealing to the audience, who know your good intentions, belies your intent. I'd like to carry on in a more productive discourse but the high ground doesn't belong to you, you have to earn it. Now, if you'd like to comment on my response after the link you posted, that is if you actually understood more than I did
    of its offerings that you were so tickled about, I'd be interested.

#26     Jan 31, 2011
  7. olias

olias

Awesome stuff.

Nitro, great idea for a thread

#28     Jan 31, 2011
  8. i heard from a smart guy that he thought Mind does not work like a computer, instead Mind uses some sort of a lookup table.

not sure if quantum effects needed to be invoked. just because we can't build a lookup table like that, does not mean we don't know enough physics.

#29     Jan 31, 2011
  9. I am,

Did I got the point : the more conscious you are the more you accept the responsibility ?

#30     Feb 1, 2011