What is conciousness?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by nitro, Oct 6, 2007.

1. what evidence is there that "kenny" has anything going on.. :p

#11     Oct 13, 2007
  2. Thanks for resurrecting it. :D

Jesus

#12     Oct 13, 2007
  3. There are some instances in life where trying to explain something in words would only insult the integrity of it. This is one of those. "Kenny" is quite impressive. He is truly amazing.

#13     Oct 13, 2007
  4. Excellent question, Nitro..

As you have probably noted, any article, magazine, book, tv show, whatever that attempts to answer the question 'what is consciousness' may be full of fascinating info about the workings of the brain and how various things can influence consciousness but nobody can tell us what consciousness is per se.

"What is consciousness?" is known to philosophers and scientists as the hard question of consciousness and no one has ever come close to answering it without referring to entities that themselves are indescribable.

I believe that one reason we can't describe consciousness is very simple - consciousness has too few properties to permit a meaningful description.

Having said all this, it's still a great topic for discussion.

Hans

#14     Oct 13, 2007
  5. nitro

nitro

#15     Jan 30, 2011
  6. How to take to accept responsibility for the code ? Could you please develop this a little bit further... I have some pain to fully understand. Thx.

#16     Jan 30, 2011
  7. I tried to read that link or I should say I tried to understand it, I did read it I wish I understood it because I am interested in explorations of consciousness; it ranks right up there with
    the orgins of existence as to the most provocative questions.

The paragraph:

"Departures of the momentum distribution of the protons from that of bulk water are so large we believe that the nano-confined water can be properly described as being in a qualitatively different quantum ground state from that of bulk water,"they say.

Coming away from descriptions like that with understanding seem about as elusive as knowing the position and momentum of a subatomic particle simultaneously.

From a laymans attempt I'm trying to get onboard from the approach of, quantum physics holding an answer to consciousness from where it disappears into some netherworld
    then returns with instructions --and-- given that water makes up, what is it 75% of our anatomy, accounting for a path to consciousness origins is in there somewhere somehow. I think theres fertile ground in the words "qualitatively different quantum ground state" ....still that only leads to more questions than any eureka moment. Seems every time we get closer to explanations the Truth retracts leaving us still empty handed. Almost makes you want to get religion ...nah!

#17     Jan 30, 2011
  8. bronks

bronks

!OMEGA!

I tend to agree with this. Especially since water is the great emulsifier (correct use of this word?) and conductor... not to mention a whole host of other properties in both the physical and meta-physical worlds.

#18     Jan 30, 2011

9. I am...

Have you been influenced by 'A Course in Miracles'? The wording and writing style you use here and what is in that text seems very similar. I enjoyed reading your posts even if I don't fully understand all of what you are saying yet. Can you recommend some more books that have influenced you? Thanks.

#19     Jan 30, 2011

10. This is by design, so the suckers who will give their life, hope and pleasure to such pursuit end empty handed ^^

#20     Jan 31, 2011