What is an "edge"?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by schizo, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Preachin' to my choir... I started in '99. And I have missed a bunch of the yuuge move up because I am STILL suspicious of the move and expect it to dump 50% any moment. So I spend huge amounts of time trying to perfect systems that can withstand the non-existent crash, instead of just going with the flow. :banghead:

#71     Nov 11, 2019
    Overnight and ironchef like this.
  2. qaz

qaz

Whether you recognize someone or not, the comparison is still made with your memory. If it matches =recognize, no match = not recognized. It might be quick and feels like intuition but it isn't. We will always hold the upper hand in creativity despite AI having got the upper hand in computation.

#72     Nov 11, 2019
    2FT likes this.
  3. 2FT

2FT

Thanks @qaz, I enjoyed your conversation on the topic.

I don't want to distract any more from the thread topic. But I will find some time to learn more about how human judgement works. It seems my brain makes a superficial heuristic judgement before a deeper database scan. Not that it is possible for me to tell.

#73     Nov 11, 2019
  4. schizo

schizo

22) In order to succeed as a trader, you need more than just positive expectancy. You need a positive outlook. You will not find a successful trader with a negative outlook in life.

#74     Nov 11, 2019
    ironchef likes this.
  5. ironchef

ironchef

By then retire, riding into the sunset. :D

There are lots of billionaire hedge fund managers who are one trick phony too, made their billions betting on one event and never made significant money again except collecting fees after accumulated billion/trillion AUM.

#75     Nov 12, 2019
  6. schizo

schizo

23) WHERE you enter the trade is important, but WHEN you enter is paramount.
    24) If you know how to time your entry, then you also know when to be patient.
    25) Knowing when to pay a premium is better than always seeking for a bargain.
    26) Market seeks for balance and harmony when greed and fear are misaligned.

#76     Nov 12, 2019
  7. easymon1

easymon1

According to the government, Collins, who served on the board of Australian biotechnology company Innate Immunotherapeutics, called his son Cameron in June 2017 from the annual Congressional picnic at the White House, after he got an email from Innate’s chief executive officer about the clinical trial failure of a multiple scleroris drug then under development.

Cameron Collins, his fiancee, her parents, and a friend subsequently sold more than 1.78 million shares before the news became public, avoiding losses of almost $757,000.

The case shed a spotlight on the lack of restrictions on members of Congress holding unpaid positions on corporate boards. Collins solicited investments in Innate from fellow lawmakers, and at least five other Republican House members bought shares in the company.

Shortly after Collins’s indictment, the House introduced a bill barring members from serving on the boards of publicly traded companies. That bill hasn’t passed into law yet.

#77     Jan 18, 2020
  8. schizo

schizo

Why am I not surprised? Oh, I know, they are all thieves--both left and right.

#78     Jan 18, 2020
  9. Neuroway

Neuroway

#79     Jan 18, 2020
  10. volpri

volpri

Whatever you may define an edge to be it is certainly not something that is necessary to make money in the markets. Therefore, it is generally an illusion to find, discover, or construct one. And if thus found it usually will work only for a while. It is a time consuming task to find or develop one. It reeks of competition and secrecy. In the end most traders give up trying to find one. After trying, perhaps hundreds of indicators, in maybe hundreds of variations. And not to mention the colosal back testing.

A trader is better off to simply understand that successful trading is not about being in competitive state with the market, other traders, and winning over them. Successful trading is actually quite the opposite. Being successful in trading is really simply about being in agreement with the market, and being in agreement with other winning institutions and winning professional traders. A trader does not need an edge. He just needs to know how to read the market and determine which institutions are winning at the moment and join them. Trading by edges is fleeting. Here one day and gone the next. Discerning the pressures in the markets will always be here and there is nothing secretive about it. It is ALWAYS out in the open. Such a trader has no secret edge to hide from other traders. He can actually tell them “why” he is taking a position. If they join him it will simply make his trade more successful.

I would strongly recommend give up hunting for an edge. You don’t need it. If perchance you discover one it will be fleeting and soon disappear. Instead strive to understand the pressures in the market and go with the winning side. No one can take that from you. And you may tell the entire world what ..and why ...you are doing what you are doing and why you are taking a position. Divulging such info to others will NOT weaken but rather strengthen your case should they decide to join you.

#80     Jan 19, 2020
    birdman and themickey like this.