What is a good percentage annual return for a day trader?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by mrmarket, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Enough to be able to pay my personal and business bills, support my family, support our lifestlye and grow the savings account for a rainy day...

the exact number shouldn't matter to anybody (someone trying to find out what that specific number is for me or for anyone else) because its personal-private information.

Thus, you shouldn't care about (comparing) what the other guy/gal is doing...

if you both are doing the above (accomplishing your goals) via different numbers of annual returns...

isn't that what matters ???

In other words...when you say...

...not one has an idea what a good year would be for them?? Has anyone ever heard of goal setting?

Exactly...reason why I've repeated the above type of message twice as replies.

Back to the markets.

NihabaAshi

#31     Dec 2, 2003
  2. I understand...but the beauty of capturing it as a percentage return is a reflection of one's skill as a trader. So...what's a good return? I still haven't seen a specific credible answer which leads me to believe that no one in this forum actually has a record that they would want anyone else to see.

#32     Dec 2, 2003
  3. gms

gms

Correct. mrmarket selects the lowest quote and responds to that by comparing it against his outperformance of the low quote; when acrary responds with a higher quote than mrmarket's performance, mrmarket dismisses it; when Qdzresurrection mentions a higher quote than mrmarket's performance, mrmarket wishes to "rephrase" his question into a totally different question... spin+self-market+spin+self-market... yet his question of "how much" is a baiting question, because a Wharton MBA should already know the answer to that, don't you think?

Using mr.market's previously posted logic where doubters' current silence equals proof of outstanding performance, then mr.market's constant thumping about his performance must equal proof of its mediocrity. That may be why he's always looking for validation of it.

Evidently this guy must be awfully insecure about his performance to keep trying to validate it according to what a bunch of strangers have to say.

Which makes you wonder why he can't or doesn't get all the validation he seems to continually seek, from home & family & friends & his web site, but seeks to get it in a bunch of forums all over the web for years and years from total strangers of which he knows of no credentials, other than most of them did not attend Wharton.

Now, that's entertainment!

#33     Dec 2, 2003
  4. MrMarket,

If your looking for a specific answer...

its been discussed, posted and analyzed many times before in prior threads.

Thus, use EliteTraders.com search menu in the upper right corner to find your answer to compare to what your doing.

The answer is there...it depends on if you want to see it or not.

I've even seen threads here at ET by members saying how many points they average per day or need to average per day for those trading the Eminis...

I've seen trheads here at ET where traders discussed their annual returns...

most of those threads often ended in one member attacking another via trying to show how inadequate someone was.

I'll make it easy for you...I typed the following words...Annual Returns...

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/searc...d=250611&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Scroll down past the most recent stuff and you can reply to those threads to discuss your personal numbers versus the numbers posted there.

In all fun...I went to a Wine & Cheeze party in Seattle and someone there was debating about what's a good specific number for annual income to feel like your important...

Someone's spouse that got tired of overhearing these 3 guys talk about such a subject...

interrupted them and said its easy...

Ask the spouse...she will decide what number is good based on her needs

That's definetly the case in my family :cool:

Once again...this type of topic has been discussed many times here in the past at ET...your answer is in the search menu.

NihabaAshi

#34     Dec 2, 2003
  5. what purpose is there for you to use logic here? He's not interested in that. Why are you such a sucker with your continued responses. Wake up, and smell the French Vanilla roast!

#35     Dec 2, 2003
  6. Silvain Garnea,

You and I both respond to this thread :cool:

It's mutual.

Market still ranging...nothing else to do so far...nothing but low probability trade signals.

NihabaAshi

#36     Dec 2, 2003
  7. I must say I am surprised and disappointed that no one stepped up to answer this.

#37     Dec 2, 2003
  8. gms

gms

I thought some did, but if you think no one did, call it a day and close the thread.

#38     Dec 2, 2003
  9. Daytrading and portfolio management are apples and oranges.

Daytraders have a minimum of 4-1 leverage, and prop traders have 10-1, perhaps more. Plus, they are using firm capital.

Daytraders measure thier success in primarily points, fractions thereof and dollars.

You are huge. And so are some fourth stage sarcinomas.

The right question is will you be able to execute daytrades successfully and still have time to promulgate your hugeness on the internet. Plus if you are flexing for the camera and your stock tanks, then what?

#39     Dec 2, 2003

10. Ok...let me ask the question this way. If you had $500,000 of capital that you started with on January 1, 2003. How much money would you have to make, with that capital, to have called it a good year on December 31, 2003?

#40     Dec 2, 2003