what if you sold this market a year ago?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by andrasnm, Sep 3, 2002.

1. nitro

nitro

Okay, this makes more sense.

But honestly, I have no idea how anyone can know what will happen six minutes from now, let alone a year.

nitro

#21     Sep 3, 2002
  2. bone

bone

I sold stocks and bought bonds a year ago. Covered it ten minutes later.

#22     Sep 3, 2002
  3. nitro

nitro

LOL

nitro

#23     Sep 3, 2002
  4. Traders are getting paid to be right long term! More right they are better they getting paid. If you are only right for 2 minutes
    and your 'betting average' is so so , how can you expect to make a lot?

#24     Sep 3, 2002
  5. i did short the nasdaq on 6.22.01 and HELD. no if's ands or buts

surf

#25     Sep 3, 2002
  6. silk

silk

SP500 is down about 30% from last year. A good day trader can make a few hundred percent a year. Buy and hold or short and hold won't make you much in the long run.

#26     Sep 3, 2002
  7. trader99

trader99

Well, that's yes and no. It seems like in daytrading you can make more, but there's a "capacity issue". So, the SP500 is down 30% last year. And if a really good daytrader make .5-1% a day he can easily make well over 300% a year.

But the reality it's difficult to be that consistent every SINGLE day.

And you can't really move size. It's not like you can short $100M every day and cover it like that. Whereas, if you are a position trader or fund manager and you wanted to short, you can easily short a few billion over last year and 30% of a few billions is a lot of pretty pennies...

just giving a sense of perspective...

:)

#27     Sep 3, 2002
  8. ElCubano

ElCubano

Someone posted a link to an article here once before ( i will try searching for it later) , indicating your point. The article went on to say that more success is found in the intermidiate time frame, as you pointed out( days, weeks, months), than in the short term time frame( seconds, minutes, intraday).

#28     Sep 4, 2002