What if? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by osorico, Jun 7, 2008.

1. What would you do if futures accounts become "regulated" based on the purpose of the account, irrespective of instruments traded?

Just imagine a new set of regulations for "speculation" accounts, applied across the board to 4 and 5 digit accounts in addition to 7 and 8 digit accounts, regardless of instruments traded.

For the sentiment, just read the news. Unintended consequences to the wind.

This quote from Tulsa dated today says it all...
    "This thing is totally out of control," he said. "It is not being driven by supply and demand. It's being driven by greedy speculator bastards."
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?articleID=20080607_49_A1_hThenu610040

Scary thought.
    Osorico

2. Something everyone should be keeping top of mind no doubt. Given the events in oil in the last few days, I suspect we will see some serious talk and possible actions regarding trading in energy futures very very soon perhaps even this week. However, I am not so sure it's going to effect futures all together. They may make it next to impossible for any small fry to trade oil futures, but I am also beginning to think it will not be a blanket across the board cut to speculators in all instruments.