What if we mandated that government contracts must be American made?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by OPTIONAL777, Feb 24, 2011.

1. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Air-F...8.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=4&asset=&ccode=

Would it be wrong to stipulate large government contracts...funded by taxpayers...must be kept completely at home, where all aspects benefit in the form of jobs and revenues back to the government in the form of taxes from corporate profits, jobs kept in America, etc?

Does it serve the taxpayer to have a large contract, one of the largest in history, go to another country for fulfillment...even though both have workers/divisions in America? In this case, EADS, is multi national...

The European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company N.V. (EADS) is a large pan-European aerospace and defence corporation and a leading defence and military contractor worldwide.

2. Nah, that would be too patriotic. What exactly IS patriotism anyway?

3. Hello

Hello

In my mind blowing up sand huts in afghanistan so that we can spend our own money rebuildnig them is incredibly patriotic. :D

4. This kinda thing would certainly give US industry the leg up it badly needs at the moment and in turn would help our European defense sector when we in turn ban US products from state and military spending.

5. Let's play that game. Each country has to be independent and self sufficient.

Who wins?

I know who loses...the countries that lack the natural resources to be independent.

6. That would be funny if it weren't so damn sad. What exactly would be their beef, no seriously, if someone sat down with
    their mucky mucks and tried to negotiate? Palestine? Does it
    all boil down to that, including the motivation behind all these uprisings? Or do they just want our garrisons out of their countries?

7. Thats a great point. Since the demise of colonialism or at least its overt form cheap NR were the best possible source of newly introduced GDP a population could find. Most everything else is merely transfer.

8. Most western states including the US are hostage to deficiencies in resources (although the US less so than others) the only sure winner would be the Russian Federation.

9. I'm guessing the US could produce enough food and energy, building materials, clothing, smokes of course, and booze to do just fine by ourselves.

If necessary, given our military, we could easily play the game of risk, roll the dice and take over/annex Mexico for cheap labor, and Canada for natural resources.

Just think of the savings if we didn't have to pay off the bond debt to China and the rest of the world...

:D

10. jem

jem

zzz you are finally thinking about solutions.

I applaud you for dropping the commie rhetoric.

#10     Feb 24, 2011