what if it is Noah's Ark

Discussion in 'Politics' started by qdz3se, Apr 26, 2004.

1. I believe that's possible but only known by God and certainly not normative. I don't believe that's what Paul was referring to in the above passage.

Yes, I believe in a God who is deliberately self-limiting and works both by natural and supernatural means.

#51     Apr 27, 2004
  2. Yes, show me a scientific problem with the Flood account in Genesis so I can understand your certitude...

#52     Apr 27, 2004
  3. Science can validate only that which is within the realm of science.

What you are ignorant of, speak not.

#53     Apr 27, 2004
  4. Hey stu,

How come you now replaced your buddy Gilbert with Goldilocks and the Three Bears?

Don' t tarnish your standing as a biblical fiddler!

nononsense

#54     Apr 27, 2004
  5. Yes, but it should be noted that over 85% of the Flood Stories involve a large vessel. It would be very odd, again imo, for every pre-historic world traveler to convey the same general story.

That is, unless they all happened to be in the same general location and come from the same source event.

But I realize I can't prove what I just said...

#55     Apr 27, 2004
  6. The only serious objection that I know of to a local flood account regards the size of the ark itself. The largest clipper ships of the last century were about 300 feet and their oak members lacked the tensile strength for long ocean and sea going journeys.

My rebuttal to that is that there are woods in the region that have the tensile strength of metal. So if the "gopher wood" of Genesis corresponds to those kinds of wood and they were sufficiently abundant, then this issue is easily overcome.

Of course, I cannot prove this, but at least there is a reasonable explanation.

Also, keep in mind that the ark, unlike the clipper ships, was not intended for "high seas" type of sailing. It was meant to float in a flooded plain...

#56     Apr 27, 2004
  7. ElCubano

ElCubano

This is inccorect...he believes in his faith " to become the greatest trader of all time"...as he has said countless times here on ET...surely he has no idea what it is to be a successful trader ( years and years of consistent profits ..hey not that im any better) yet he claims he will be the gretest of all time ...either he is talking out his you know what ( maybe drunk that night also ) or he really has faith in something he cant or may never prove...

the guy is a believer...welcome aboard gordo

#57     Apr 27, 2004
  8. stu

stu

I made no mention about science validating anything.

Simply, faith itself confirms anything you, or anyone else, wants it to. It has no legitimacy by or of itself.

If you were ignorant of that fact, then you should have spoken not of faith.

#58     Apr 27, 2004
  9. stu

stu

Well how about what many might consider the serious objection that it doesn't agree with the Word of God.

Genesis 1: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
    Genesis 19: states...And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.

It seems you want the Word of God that states "under the whole heaven" to become an amusing (to you) 'Flood Geology cultural bias'.

And this is not a problem to do with Genesis text???

#59     Apr 27, 2004
  10. I still say you're showing your cultural bias. Let me give an example. In Genesis 41:56, the King James Version states "the famine was over all the face of the earth."

Now I don't believe anyone would interpret that globally. In other words, noone would say that the author was referring to Antartica or Greenland, etc.

I believe that you are trying to force an interpretation that you would not apply anywhere else.

#60     Apr 27, 2004