what if it is Noah's Ark

Discussion in 'Politics' started by qdz3se, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Hey, I'm not making this stuff up. Gen 8:4 says the ark came and rested on the "mountains of Ararat" which was a very large geological territory. Nowhere does it say or imply that it was on THE "Mt. Ararat".

Again, the idea of Mt. Ararat is a religious urban legend kind of like the Three Wise Men. I'm not saying it can't be on Mt. Ararat but there is no reason to think it is from Genesis...

#11     Apr 27, 2004
  2. Again, imo the idea of a local flood seems and feels "wrong" to many people because our culture is so steeped in Flood Geology...

#12     Apr 27, 2004
  3. Another "urban legend" aspect of the Flood is that it is uniquely Jewish. Quite the contrary, (pre-missionary) flood stories abound in cultures around the globe. Of course, theists argue that this almost universal display of flood stories throughout the earth can only be explained if all of mankind's cultures share a common origin that dates back to a real Flood.

Below is a non-threatening, non-theistic link that shows some of the major cultures that have a Flood story:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(mythology)

#13     Apr 27, 2004
  4. i do not want to get into another endless religion debate. all i want to say is:

according to what you just said, WHY DOES GOD NEED A DAMN BOAT IN THE FIRST PLACE? if he's some omnipotent being, why did he not just float all animals up to the sky for a while and drop them back down? lol why make such a hassle for noah? or why did he need to gather up 2 of each animal? couldn't he just magically make them appear again like he did the first time? what a joke this all is.

#14     Apr 27, 2004
  5. Your argument, simply stated, is that if you were God, you would act more like a "Zeus" or a "Q". That's fine - but it does not disprove the traditional theistic position.

The fact that God may blend the natural and the supernatural is actually much more appealing to me at least.

I think it is logical to go by the evidence: most cultures have a flood story and there was a mesopotamian flood in the appropriate time frame.

Is this proof? No, but it certainly is very difficult to explain otherwise...

#15     Apr 27, 2004
  6. There's only one Mt Ararat.

The Bible gives clear record that the ark settled there when the seas mixed with the great flood when the heavens were opened and the divine power of God was unleashed to destroy the world of ungodly people, the waters that covered the entire planet.

God wiped out all mankind (except the 8 souls in the ark).

We should have a moment of silence in the awesome presence of the LORD God. He's reading what we're writing here.

to

#16     Apr 27, 2004
  7. No. It was symbolic. It represented how God would save mankind through Christ the Savior.

"And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly;" 2 Peter chapter 2.

"...when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

"The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:" 1 Peter chapter 3.

#17     Apr 27, 2004
  8. insanity

#18     Apr 27, 2004
  9. Thank you! :D

#19     Apr 27, 2004
  10. Why would God need to conform and act according to YOUR limited and relativistic sense of what is right, fair, and or logical?

Are you a perfect being with absolute knowledge of past, present, and future who knows what is absolutely right for all human beings?

You would judge a supreme being according to YOUR personal standards of limitations and shallow opinions?

That is the height of vanity, that you assume a position of an all knowing God yourself first, and then judge the behavior of a Supreme Being accordingly.

#20     Apr 27, 2004