What has the GOP come to?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by nitro, Nov 4, 2012.

Has the GOP lost its course?

1. Yes. It needs to move to the center

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. No, although I prefer the original intent of the Tea Party.

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  3. I don't know.

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. I don't care.

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. piezoe

piezoe

Odd, isn't it that most U.S. citizens think the U.S. is a democracy? And it is of course at the local and State levels. However when we get to the Federal level it is only one out of the three branches of government that is elected democratically. At the federal level India is a far more democratic nation than the U.S is. (Maybe that's part of India's problem -- too much democracy.)

I used to get a chuckle over young George Bush running around telling people we were bringing democracy to Iraq! In my mind I was always thinking: Well, George, don't you think you should try out democracy first, to see if you like it, before wishing it on others. -- To this day I'm not sure if anyone knows who really won the popular vote in the Bush v. Gore election.

Recall that electing the Senate democratically was a feature added later. So now at least we elect the entire legislative branch whereas, in the early days it was just the House. That's why I think it was Hamilton that argued the House should have the final say on matters. And to this day the House is from a Constitutional standpoint the most powerful body, eclipsing the power of the Senate, the Executive Branch and the Judicial Branch. But they have seldom made use of their real power and nowadays it seems as though they have sometimes a ring in their collective noses by which they can be led around. (Although since the most recent mid-term election they've been quite ornery and made quite a fuss.)

Of course the founding fathers never envisioned women or the riff raff voting. They would be shocked to find either Pelosi, or (speaking of Riff Raff) Michele Bachmann occupying a House seat!
    :D

#91     Nov 7, 2012
  2. who the hell are you? Some kind of college professor? I totally agree with you on Michele Bachmann. But Nancy Pelosi is 70 years old, and still one of the hottest women in Washington. Who knows how many men she has destroyed on her quest for power.

otherwise, democracy, or mobacracy, if enough people vote one way you can't stop it.

I really don't care if it is a democracy or a republic. Namely because I don't really know what a republic is.

I voted, and my guy lost. And I am kind of happy about that. Now I can bitch and don't have to defend anything.

But now that I got you on the phone, just what exactly is the difference between a democracy and a republic?

#92     Nov 7, 2012
  3. piezoe

piezoe

That's a question for the experts! It seems we are a little of both, but I'm not sure.

#93     Nov 7, 2012