What has happened to the Bund price action??

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by ynox1, Mar 22, 2007.

1. i said this before on so many threads about the profiling of traders by systems exactly like this but all i get is a load of flack and poo poohed responses from others users who only reply is you have to adapt your style.

this system can back test and profile anybody and any system in hours not months.

this is a whole new ball game here and i think we all have to take a moment to really understand if it is geuninely worth trying to pitch up every day and have a go.

the odds are so stacked against us.

#31     Apr 19, 2007
  2. I know of a few guys which have been developing a similar system etc..

They have placed their main server in the buliding right next to the main exchange in Frankfurt.They have also rented office space next to the Dubai Eurex Hub ( Once it is opened).

Prelimary results from the Frankfurt based operation appear to be highly profitable.

#32     Apr 19, 2007
  3. Dogfish

Dogfish

:D I thought that post would cheer you up! I've known about apama for a while.

I still think you just need to adapt though - nothing wrong with positioning outrights, oh and shipping in some of your own box trading. You don't need to know C++ to use this type of system it's designed for traders not programmers. Obviously the days of hitting figures and simple spreading are out.

#33     Apr 19, 2007
  4. no offence intended dogfish.

probability is if this is one we know about how many do we not know about.

as a side note i have been making tiny to small profits recently but looking at the price action i just got more and more bored everyday.

flip flip flip massive size but nothing trading.

shatz was 15000 by 20000 yesterday at one point and 300 lots traded out the bid.

yawn yawn

#34     Apr 19, 2007
  5. Dogfish

Dogfish

None taken - was pulling my hair out over bund price action yesterday too

#35     Apr 19, 2007
  6. Anyone else feel this current bund is "more diffuclt" as ever?

I have not got a clue what is going on

#36     Jun 21, 2007
  7. ynox1

ynox1

Pure Gambling! It is moving around, but how easy it is to go offside!!

#37     Jun 21, 2007
  8. es175

es175

A mate of mine at one of the London arcades (bund trader) tells me that noone is making any cash in FI.
    All the money is being made by the stock index traders.

Different game, different approach required but perhaps time to switch.... Any thoughts?

#38     Jun 26, 2007
  9. incubator

incubator

maybe current bund action is the side effect of 0.5 bobl rule,i see diffrent behavior as far as 30 min bars and more fake breakouts similar to ES markets,clearly diffrent type of moves.The other reason is that there was i big move couple weeks ago and traders made money from higher levels,u could put a trade even if wrong get stoped out and still make money on reverse direction.Now in trading range whipsaw cost me money,i have no opinion yet as to the new bund action,if that is gonna continue with new trend than 0.5 bobl rule has something to do with it,most likely black box trading set to new algorithms f*cked all up

#39     Jun 26, 2007
  10. Cutten

Cutten

I agree with the Beaker. Trading a strategy that can easily be replicated - and executed much faster - by computers is just going to get more and more competitive. Eventually only the players with the best equipment and the deepest pockets are going to be making money from it. Just like stock index futures arbitrage, barriers to entry will rise and profits will erode until only a handful of players are left, making a little more than the risk-free rate. Small independent arcade traders have the worst equipment, the highest execution costs, and the lowest skills & professionalism out of the remaining players, so they are going to be the first to go. Add to this the fact that the arcades have high overheads, often being based in or around expensive capital cities, and it's a recipe for disaster. As beaker says, its like the luddites vs the spinning jennies and weaving looms - the technology can do it cheaper, faster, and better than a human. That's the cold hard reality.

If there is one iron law of the markets, it is that all "free money" - leading indicators, leggable spreads, quasi-arbitrages etc - eventually disappears as competition for it increases.

Anyone trading this stuff as their main source of income, should either look to more inefficient markets (e.g. ones in developing markets), or start learning how to trade outright direction (something requiring judgement and feel, which cannot really be replicated by computers). IMO the days of intraday scalping, spreading and legging are closing fast.

#40     Jun 26, 2007