What hardware is needed for supporting multiple monitors?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by orbit23, Oct 2, 2019.

1. easymon1

easymon1

mr orbit23 -
    have you decided what you want to do?

#11     Oct 4, 2019
  2. easymon1

easymon1

Scataphagos coulda saved the trader in this video many hundreds of dollars on a trading computer, no?

#12     Oct 20, 2019
  3. Her prices on the monitors and mount are about right.

As for the computer (if I were looking to economize)... I'd go for a used HP Z440 workstation for ~$350-$400. Her monitors will run on NVS 295 video cards which you could buy on eBay for ~$10 each. (Of course if you want to run "distractions" while trading, you might need more GPU.)

Trading doesn't require much horsepower. I'm running on a Dell T3500 workstation that's 10 years old... Xeon W3570 CPU w/8GB RAM, W7. Bought it on eBay for $75, including shipping. (I wasn't looking to buy a new computer for trading exactly... this one was intended to be used simply in reserve as a backup as I was having issues with the DRM on my MetaStock... and if I ever "lost" my setup, they weren't going to allow me to restore/activate it again, so I needed a clone ready to roll. Well, with swapping machines around I ended up with the cheapie running my stuff for the time being... and it's 5/5.)

Could have saved ~$800 on the rig.

And say, isn't she charming? I'd date her!

:)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    #13     Oct 20, 2019
    vic38 likes this.
  4. You would date her? With your $75 computer and constantly pushing used items? Will you also buy her a used ring or necklace? Thanks for the good laugh. Let it suffice to say that she is way out of your league.

#14     Oct 20, 2019
  5. No sooner do I say my "10-yr old cheapie rig is running 5/5", the mobo went tits up this morning. (Not really a problem. Swapped out the drives and the video cards into another machine... was up and running in 10 minutes. Moral of this story... Traders need adequate back-up, which includes hardware.)

So... if you're buying used, (1) still buy workstations... supposed to be better quality with server-class parts, less trouble, longer durability and (2) don't buy something 10 years old... more like 3 years old.

It's always something. :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    #15     Oct 21, 2019
  6. Well, thats it then, the chick is gonna dump you. What else you have to offer now that your 75 dollar machine broke?

#16     Oct 21, 2019