What happens when you reveal your true identity?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MainFramer, Jun 17, 2002.

1. ok i'll bite.

if you trade during the day and go home flat, what is the distinction you are hinting at.

#31     Jun 18, 2002
  2. welp...they got me on that little rally.

#32     Jun 18, 2002
  3. I once told a guy that I was a commodity trader, then he proceded to tell me about his brother who was a genius.

I told this other fellow the same thing, and he started talking about how he planned on going back to school to get his Masters'
    in physics.

Then after that lunatic went on a killing rampage in Atlanta, everybody calls me a gambler...:confused:

#33     Jun 18, 2002
  4. tell them to lay off and call you by your first name

#34     Jun 18, 2002
  5. 'daytraders' were portrayed a certain way in the media, and in all those 'trade online to quick riches' books, etc.

They were also strutting around in the late 90's, yapping into cell phones about how much money they made.

I traded with paper charts and a telephone when I started out. (no, not stone tablets...)

#35     Jun 18, 2002
  6. "I am NOT a daytrader. I happen to be flat each day, but that's beside the point."

OK chasinfla you've got me wondering how you can trade and go home flat end of day and not be called a daytrader.

Darkhorse, I like the idea of just saying your a trader. If the conversation goes further and they then come to think you're crazy, at least it wouldn't be the first thing they think of you.

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

#36     Jun 18, 2002
  7. Atlantic

Atlantic

#37     Jun 18, 2002
  8. tell people you're a volatility extractor

let them chew on that one for a while

#38     Jun 18, 2002
  9. im a trader who gets flat. 'daytrader' has been defined (or mis-defined) as I mentioned above. I find that, other than being flat every day, I really don't fit most people's idea of what a 'daytrader' is or should be.

#39     Jun 18, 2002

10. Hehehe...that's right. When I first started trading we didn't have
    personal computers. I did all my charts by hand from newspaper
    quotes. People didn't even use the word "daytrader". You
    were a "speculator".:cool:

#40     Jun 18, 2002