What happens when you reveal your true identity?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MainFramer, Jun 17, 2002.

1. i just say that i'm a trader. if that's a mystery wrapped in a riddle to people, oh well. No desire to brag about 'accomplishments' but no desire to conceal the truth either, I think the element of James Bond type secrecy/coolness is undeserved.

those who don't know much about markets frequently get trader mixed up with stockbroker.

those who have dabbled and gotten killed go through a routine cycle of laughter / disbelief / confusion / amazement. from then on they look at you with squinty eyed skepticism or restrained worship.

it's especially amusing to see the reactions of supposedly informed financial types who have deep convictions that trading is impossible. You are a walking talking cognitive dissonance to them, an assault on their reality. Your implied success is offensive to their ego.

i rarely if ever go into detail. when people ask for my predictions i generally shrug and say i have pet theories but no real idea what markets are going to do, nor do i care. Since they assume prediction is my business, which it most definitely is not, this usually puzzles them into silence. it's mildly amusing to speak truthfully and simply only to see your answers confuse further, like the little bald kung fu masters who speak in riddles.

if someone wants specifics on how much i make or how much money i work with, i usually give a standard answer that i only discuss account and performance specifics with potential investors, just to make life easier.

it doesn't happen all that often. when you have an established circle of family and friends, you occasionally run into new 'what do you do' situations but pretty infrequently.

p.s. 'independent money manager' is a decent way to tone down the gunslinger image with a coat and tie when appropriate

#21     Jun 18, 2002
  2. o, is that what we're talking about?

yeah, people ask about your 'clients.' i have explained what i do over and over to otherwise intelligent people who still don't get it.

Finally I just say to their puzzled faces, 'I buy and sell stock.' Of course, that isn't 'work.' It's gambling.

then there are those who seem to get it and start describing to you, as if confiding in you, of their personal get-rich-quick pursuits (wade cook, earthworm farming, ostrich ranching, etc.).

And then those who assume you're a shiftless gambler. They either disdain you or start talking like a 'player.'

And those who are jealous and hate you for it.

It's true. You just can't know it until you do it.

I think that's why I post here so much. At least you guys know what I'm talking about. I love the business. I love to talk about it.

#22     Jun 18, 2002
  3. Luckily, some of us can say we're commodities traders which apparently has a much more honorable reputation than the scary daytrader!

#23     Jun 18, 2002
  4. LOL, puffy.

I am NOT a daytrader. I happen to be flat each day, but that's beside the point.

I told someone what I did once and they really looked incredulous. I asked why. The reply was, 'daytraders go beserk and kill their families!!"

#24     Jun 18, 2002
  5. skynet

skynet

you are a DAY TRADER. And you kick some serious ass while your normal investor looses!

#25     Jun 18, 2002

6. If anyone ever said something that utterly stupid to me, I would have to make Jim Carrey faces at them while flapping my arms up and down.

"Yes yes yes! Traders are crazy crazy crazy! We wear funny hats and eat our own poop and do naked cartwheels on the lawn! And if you make us mad we'll kill you dead! Yabba dabba doo!"

#26     Jun 18, 2002
  7. lol. she was kidding. but i can see deed restrictions coming...'no daytraders.'

I hadn't thought of doing what you suggested. Maybe next time...

#27     Jun 18, 2002

8. don't forget shutting mealy mouths too, right traderx/faster/longshot?

#28     Jun 18, 2002
  9. I have read that 3 times and I'm still cracking up! =)

make that 4, reread it on the preview reply :D

#29     Jun 18, 2002
  10. I am NOT! :D

#30     Jun 18, 2002