What happens when you reveal your true identity?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by MainFramer, Jun 17, 2002.

1. On another post I read where someone said its better if you don't tell people you trade for a living. Like most newbies, I think trading is pretty cool, and would like one day to do it for a living. And naturally the idea of revealing this (if someone should ask) seems like a cool idea too. What bad experiences have you had (or heard of someone else having) from revealing your true identity?
    :cool: :eek:

2. yOURM TRUE ID IS THAT OF AN IDIUT.Did YOU TELL THEM THazT?

3. Pabst

Pabst

Funny this should come up. I was at a party over the weekend and an older gentleman overhearing my market discourse piped in adding "..and then you have all those suckers trying to day trade". I think I'll explain in the future that I'm a professional short seller.

P.S.
    Reminds me of the story of the trader who was trying to impress a girl he met in a bar by revealing that he had a seat at the CBOT. Without missing a beat she asked "Do you own it or lease it?"

4. janko

janko

well i think Mr longshot overhere has just revealed his identity- welcome traderX, long time no hear. good to have you back:D

5. Rigel

Rigel

Without a doubt.

6. what are we, superheroes now?

it's just a job. who cares what people think.

7. I see a pot, now where's that kettle...

8. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

it's just a job guys.
    It's not an art form, it's not a super hero thing.
    Indeed, I try to avoid saying what I do.
    When they ask too much, I might say I work in 'wealth reallocation' or that I am a 'ferengui' or something.
    Seriously, I just say I work with computers and questions usually dry it very quickly.

who cares ?
    however, usually it's not a good idea to let too many people know you make money and how much. you don't always know who is asking.

tntneo

9. Tell them you are a speculator.

10. Rigel

Rigel

Nobody cares.

#10     Jun 18, 2002