What happens if you're short a stock and it goes to zero?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by IronFist, Sep 19, 2008.

1. put your damn buy stop at .01 and you'll be all good :D

#11     Sep 19, 2008
  2. Don't quote me on this but I seem to recall that when all forms of trading in the security stop. For example, it's even booted off the pink sheets, that the government assigns it a per share value of something like $.000000001, and deems the transaction closed and the profit realized and therefore puts their hand out to collect their share from your winnings.

#12     Sep 19, 2008
  3. Bushido

Bushido

Well I was short and my position did get closed automatically at the last traded price (.19 approx) and an equivalent size got allotted in the new symbol i.e. LEHMQ, I finally closed the position at 0.06 approx yesterday.

#13     Sep 19, 2008
  4. which, incidentally, would have been the perfect time to go long :D

#14     Sep 20, 2008
  5. Bushido

Bushido

I actually did. Else I would have waited for zero. Did a decent move (400%) today too. :D

#15     Sep 20, 2008
  6. DanR

DanR

May someone explain if the same applies also to put options not yet expired?

#16     Sep 20, 2008
  7. LEAPup

LEAPup

So true!

Causes the weaker traders to stard doing the math on "how much would I have made had I bet the farm on this one trade? I won didn't I? I bet I'd be rich!!! Maybe I'll do it next time around."
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

#17     Sep 20, 2008
  8. If the stock goes to zero you own the company :D, it happens all the time. With Lehman I would pimp out the secretaries or any other hot Lehman employees as we know they are not too good at math. I am sure they will bring you a higher returns in other activities.

#18     Sep 20, 2008