What happened? Trading was supposed to give me freedom, Now I am working like a dog

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by Exception, Jun 28, 2009.

1. All about managing your personal time.

I trade ES for me and some clients. When Im done trading...usually by 3;30-4pm, I put on my sneakers and immediately leave my house to go to the gym.. or anything else outdoors. if I stayed indoors after work I would end up watching CNBC or studying the days charts...NOT GOOD! I can do that the next morning before trading begins again. You have to set some personal time for yourself on an almost constant basis, or else you will burn yourself out.....

Find a hobby that you like...working out at the gym, biking, working on ur yard, sex with ur girlfriend, .....just stay away from the f^%*&ing computer !!! Turn it off !!

#11     Jun 28, 2009
  2. Trading is like fighting a battle every day. You must come out victorious or you will become slaugther.

You must put on defensive and offensive at the same time, and never back down.

To Battle!:)

#12     Jun 28, 2009
  3. pspr

pspr

I don't know about your dog, but my dog is lazy and shiftless. If that's how you trade, it doesn't sound so strenuous. :D

#13     Jun 28, 2009
  4. Omigosh, does this ever hit home. I quit trading a few years ago, tried to start a business, that didn't work-out, then starting to work temp jobs here and there. WOW, DID THAT SUCK...working hard to feed "FAT CATS" at the agencies who make 3-4 times what I was making. 8-5 = NO FUN INDEED. Now I've got some money to fund an account again, and can't wait to start trading again. I've got a whole new perspective on it now.

#14     Jun 30, 2009
  5. Offer

Offer

yes true dat

however don't underestimate work needed to make trading work

#15     Jun 30, 2009
  6. Exception,

As others have stated, anyone who goes into trading thinking that trading is an automatic key to freedom and the gravy train to success just didn’t do enough due diligence before beginning and listened to too many gurus about what trading is really like. That is a strike against your success as you also got into this for the wrong reasons. If trading is a real passion, then all the work is really not work to you. And if you don’t have the passion and this is just a job to you, you just can’t compete with those who do have the passion and don’t feel like they are working at this because you won’t put in the time needed until you get past the hump. Not answering to anyone is pretty important to many as well, including me.

I do recommend an outlet for energy from being tied to your desk all day (assuming you are a short term trader). Some type of physical exercise is key to sort of let go of the trading day, process your thoughts and do your mind and body some good while closing the book on the day’s trading activities. As someone else suggested, that “me” time is very important long term. What you do isn’t as important as doing something.

An observer who watched anyone trade would be bored to tears within an hour and just see some contrasting colors on the screen and wonder how you stay sane. Make no mistake trading is real work. As someone else suggested, a big reason many fail is they think is will be so easy and don’t enter this with the proper mindset. It reminds me of the saying, anyone who represents him or herself in a court of law has a fool for a client. Translated to trading, that would say anyone who goes into trading without fully understanding what is realistic, what they are really up against and how much work it is is only fooling themselves and will not last most of the time.

I have never worked harder than at trading. And that is fine with me as most are just too lazy to tough it out getting over the hump of success once they realize the money just doesn’t fall from the sky and it was much harder than they thought it would be.

Best of luck and I assume you started this thread with at least a bit of sarcasm, I hope.

TM

#16     Jul 1, 2009
  7. IMF

IMF

good post good advice

#17     Jul 1, 2009
  8. I started that way before I found the system that got me to just trade for income. I usually trade for about 1/2 to 1 hour and I am done for the day. I do love it and became good at it. Good luck to you.

#18     Jul 1, 2009
  9. dozu888

dozu888

you are a troll, but let me still feed you the troll.

whoever going into this thing, a negative expectancy venture altogether, with the hope of little work and easy money, is an idiot.

trading is the hardest way to make an easy buck (forgot who said that).

get a real job.

#19     Jul 1, 2009
  10. I am a full time trader you damp and soft apple :p

#20     Jul 1, 2009