What happened to the old traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by JPB, Apr 9, 2017.

1. So the traders who used to make high six/low seven figures year in and year out from the 90's until a few years ago has nothing to do with HFT??
    Did they all forget how to trade? Did they all just decide to stop moving size because they felt bad making so much money?

#21     Apr 9, 2017
    777, i960 and lawrence-lugar like this.
  2. When did you start trading?
    Not flaming, just wondering if you ever traded against humans or if you've only seen bot trading (roughly since say 2010)?

#22     Apr 9, 2017
  3. southall

southall

Interesting you mention crude. I havent traded CL for around five years.
    I recently had a look at the DOM, it was so much deeper than it was 5 years ago, also volume is up, especially during the europe session. Now doing 100K contracts a day out of hours by the looks of things. And 400K+ a day in total.

#23     Apr 9, 2017
    Xela likes this.
  4. zdreg

zdreg

timing is an art. your track record and viktor neiderhoffer's track record are what investors should strive for. he didn't equivocate like most politicians and financial newsletter writers.

#24     Apr 9, 2017
  5. zdreg

zdreg

#25     Apr 9, 2017
  6. Mtrader

Mtrader

Daytrading since 1995, never had any problems from HFT. HFT is used as an excuse for trader's inability to be consistently profitable. Less painful for their ego.

#26     Apr 9, 2017
    Chris Mac, Handle123 and jl1575 like this.
  7. Yes, ego is the reason prop/daytrading companies are at 1/20th the traders and volume they were at ten years ago.

You guys crack me up.
    Of course your 500 shares of AMD isn't affected by HFT. But try moving size and come back and tell us your experience.

#27     Apr 9, 2017
    MarketOwl likes this.
  8. Pay no attention to these jokers, they Are disconnected from reality. Likely a broker shill or service seller rallying the troops.

surf

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    #28     Apr 9, 2017
    Clubber Lang likes this.
  9. Well if it isn't the pot calling the kettle black

#29     Apr 9, 2017
  10. Speaking of old traders, anyone remember that guy from around 2002 or 2003 that made a huge post on how to trade. He had the name "Super" in his handle if I remember correctly. I had saved the post in my bookmarks, but have since changed my computer several times and I guess I didn't transfer it over so that bookmark is long gone.

#30     Apr 9, 2017