What happened to the old traders

Discussion in 'Trading' started by JPB, Apr 9, 2017.

1. There was an earnings recession in 2016. Now go back to shorting bull markets surf.

#11     Apr 9, 2017
  2. southall

southall

Pabst and ElectricSavant are some old names i remember.

Although im not sure if ElectricSavant was ever profitable, but he sure did post a lot.

#12     Apr 9, 2017
    Zzzz1 likes this.
  3. No I meant HFT.
    The evaporation of liquidity and volatility is the reason so few traders are left.
    FED definitely hasn't helped, but the Fed has nothing to do with the complete lack of liquidity when trying to buy/sell a stock.

#13     Apr 9, 2017
    i960 and marketsurfer like this.
  4. You can't blame HFT for a lack of participation in the markets. The micro second advantage HFTs have doesn't have on impact on most traders

#14     Apr 9, 2017
    murray t turtle likes this.
  5. The entire structure of the market has changed due to HFT. Where have you been?

#15     Apr 9, 2017
    motif and Clubber Lang like this.
  6. southall

southall

Fed keeping rates on hold for 7 years did nothing to help volatility.
    Things have improved recently especially after the election, 4 years of trump is going to provide more volatility than 4 years of Clinton thats for sure.

Volume is down, but the price movement looks just the same as it has always done.
    Always been choppy and random most of the time even before HFT.

#16     Apr 9, 2017
  7. I've been trading and calling BS on this. HFTs haven't lost me any money. I think it's a conspiracy theory bad traders use.

#17     Apr 9, 2017
    Handle123, quant1, Chris Mac and 7 others like this.
  8. southall

southall

I think it killed scalping, does anyone still scalp for a few ticks these days?

#18     Apr 9, 2017
    murray t turtle and Clubber Lang like this.
  9. LOL
    Not even going to respond to that.
    SMH

#19     Apr 9, 2017
  10. I scalp crude oil and HFT isn't doing anything for or against me. Some people are too paranoid.

#20     Apr 9, 2017