What happened to the evil speculators?

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Jayford, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Just noticed that crude hit $95, and probably going lower. Notice how we aren't hearing about the evil speculators now? Maybe they are all on vacation because everyone knows they can drive up the price to any level they want.

2. No, we're busy making the Dow and S&P crash now.

3. LOL

Not a word from those morons. As someone suggested they
    may now stop us from selling short crude.

4. cszulc

cszulc

Next WSJ Headline:

"SEC and CFTC Bans Short Selling in all Futures Products"

Hmmmm, wouldn't be surprised if they tried this though. The DOM is the ES would be 2 contracts wide at best. :D :D

5. JOSEF

JOSEF

<I>Just noticed that crude hit $95, and probably going lower. Notice how we aren't hearing about the evil speculators now?</I>

It is rather amusing, isn't it? Apparently the speculators are A-OK as long they drive prices down. But damn them if the prices go the other way. Go figure.

So, I guess it was never about the speculators in the first place...

6. We're still here, we just aren't evil when the market is falling. Don't worry, in a year or two we'll be evil again.
    In fact, let congress push through a $700 billion liquidity injection / bank bailout and my guess is we will be really evil.

7. There wouldn't be a DOM as you can't have futures trading with being able to short. By definition, there is a short for every long in futures as you really aren't buying or selling anything, but entering into a contract to deliver or take delivery at a specific price at a future date. Financial futures are a little different, but my point is that the futures industry by definition will always have shorting, or it won't exist.

Kinda makes outlawing shorts in equities silly when people can just do it in futures.

8. Yep, I know. Some poor sap would be the 2-offer who bought 1500 Dec contract.