what happened to NYSE "opening indications" ?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by ghostzapper, Jul 24, 2007.

Do you want to see the NYSE "opening indication

1. yes

18 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. no / it doesn't matter

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. blah-haha.

No one said "due". Get real.

But I can assert the new uncertainty generated from lack of opening indications doesn't help the bullish cause, piker.

#31     Jul 26, 2007
  2. The NYSE needs to bring back opening indications, and fast.

I've heard of much outrage at the whacky opening prices.
    Many traders very angry at lack of transparency.

It's criminal.

#32     Aug 1, 2007
  3. Exactly.

But "GhostCrappers" brain doesn't have the brain-cells left after all of the "meds" he's taken to understand that the NYSE has essentially gone electronic, and become one big NASDAQ . . . thus the "indications" have been rendered a non-event.

Everyone else seems to realize this EXCEPT him . . . Typical.

:D

#33     Aug 1, 2007
  4. Everyone else ? There is 80% outrage, but I guess not in your room where you trade alone.

Most NYSE stocks have NO trading done pre-opening. Therefore, there's no indication of where it may open. I know CNBC is outraged as well. It is embarrassing not to be able to disseminate transparent openiing info the public uses every morning.

Until the NYSE has an effective pre-opening trading , like the Nasdaq, it MUST show opening indications to maintain its own integrity of transparency. Confidence in the NYSE's integrity has eroded and w it stock prices have become volatile and gone down.

But if you trade and exist alone waggie, of course you wouldn't know the public outcry.

#34     Aug 1, 2007
  5. mskl

mskl

You are correct. I've actually heard that many traders are avoiding the open for that reason - creating thin illiquid markets.

I've also heard that NYSE management is considering doing something (possibly adjusting rule 123D to make it equivalent to the old ITS indicator rules).

It is criminal - and the more people that complain the quicker they create better transparency. I suggest writing to the SEC.

#35     Aug 1, 2007
  6. mskl

mskl

BTW - the Nasdaq has all sorts of transparency prior to their opening - imbalance info and price indicators.

So - I'm not sure what some of you are talking about....

#36     Aug 1, 2007
  7. I dont know what you people are talking about...I saw plenty of opening indications today, can you explain yourselves please?

#37     Aug 1, 2007
  8. Thank you very much !

I appreciate your post very much . I'm so outraged, and assumed others on this site would be too, if they trade (explains waggies indifference).

This is so criminal, the NYSE is so stupid if they think keeping traders totally in the dark on critical opening price indications is the best way to go for them. I've heard dozens of horror stories already about totally criminal openings, far away from where the trading actually settles. If the NYSE wants to maintain its russian roulette openings, confidence and stock prices will continue to erode.

#38     Aug 1, 2007
  9. mskl

mskl

these are vague indicators and the least reliable - they fall under rule 123D. The ITS rules were very strict - as the NYSE would put out about 1,000 on any giving morning. Rule 123D creates typically only about 10 daily.

#39     Aug 1, 2007
  10. mskl

mskl

Yes I know and I agree with you. This was a response to those who suggested that the NYSE was going the way of the NASDAQ.

#40     Aug 1, 2007