what got you into trading ??

Discussion in 'Trading' started by marketsurfer, Oct 22, 2002.

1. cashonly

cashonly Bright Trading, LLC

I worked at a place where most of the guys I worked with were into the market. I kinda got the fever.

One day Sybase got nailed on news. I had worked with the software, knew it was in wide use and felt it was worth a buy. So I ran down to the local Schwab office, opened an account and spent $130 on a trade. Within a few weeks, it retraced about 50% and I covered, taking a nice profit (even with that commis.).

I was hooked.

Then a year later, I met a guy while skiing who had just started as a daytrader. He said he was 37. I thought all traders started in their 20's and were burnt-out by their 30's. So, thinking "Hey! I'm younger than that!" (but not much) I got some contact info and followed through on it.

About 18 mos. after that, I had a grubstake and started trading fulltime.

#41     Oct 23, 2002
  2. You mean there are people who don't trade?

#42     Oct 23, 2002
  3. prox

prox

To get rich.

My first go around was during the back end of the .com era. Didn't have a clue what I was doing, and eventually just went to a buy and hold strategy with subpar results. Got disillusioned and quit 2 years later.

Came back once my friend showed me technical analysis and the MACD. Granted, now I realize that everything looks so great in hindsight.

#43     Oct 24, 2002
  4. richk

richk

I received some shares when I sold my company. I am in Europe and I did not know about exchanges and trading anything.

After some time I was thinking what to do next and also I was requested by my wife to do something to earn more money .
    :p

I did not want to repeat problems with employees, customers, products, sales, rental of offices etc .... And so I remembered I have some shares, and that money do money, so I tried to trade shares a year ago. After naive trading last year lost some money. Then I found courses and training and spend about 6 month by training and papertrading.

Now I am in real trading for about 2 months. Not too good but also not too bad, so I am looking forward to the future ....:)

#44     Oct 24, 2002
  5. Bono

Bono

my job :) that's what I do for a living ... analysis ...

#45     Oct 24, 2002
  6. Vasilly

Vasilly

No :), the strong desire to find it out how the financial markets work, what are the rules that let you lose all you've got in a day - that got me to study the markets. At that time it wasn't understandable by me.

Then, when I figured it out I also found that you could win some money there :D (This is why I trade)

Vasilly

#46     Oct 24, 2002